9 1/4 Posi- Whats it good for?

-

hdfattboy2001

Never Enough Cars!
Reaction score
Hey guys, a buddy from work gave me a 9 1/4 Posi that came out of a 77 Fury Cop Car... I dont know much about them but I figured the price was right (free) and took it... Any recommendations on what I should do with it?
Are they worth doing anything with?

There found in late year B body cars and trucks. There an option to cut down for any car, though it is an expensive issue where you might be better off getting and building up a 8-3/4 or purchaseing a DANA outright.

There plenty strong with a decent gear ratio selection from 3.21's up and beyond 4.56's if you turn the right stone to find it.

If your building a Cordoba, Magnum, etc... there a cheap rear to get and willl take to the car with ease. Often, there spring mounting pads are different then what you normally see due to the then new "ISO" mounting system. If you don't know what they look like, there like a '79-ish Camaro. Leaf spring sandwiched between rubber buscuits.

Not a performance oreiented (SP!) idea, but the do ride a little smoother. They can be deleated with use of the old material retro fitted on. Below is a picture of one with old age. "B" body U brackets are not available, but other body styles are. I found out the hard way they do not swap.

The next picture shows the rubber biscuits better.

Then some old age damge shots.

From these shots, you can see what needs to be done to swap over the old mount system. This is not easy work and rookied should not attempt this, not without help that's for sure.

100_1978.jpg

100_1952.jpg

100_1949.jpg

100_1951.jpg

100_1960.jpg

thanks rumblefish i may just see if i can get rid of it for a couple bucks...Id rather build an 8 3/4 or ford 9" i think.

Thanks again.
Brad

No problem. How much power are you looking to make?

Fyi, my buddy ran his 8-3/4 behind a 500 stroker and 727 into the 9.40's in a all steel 69 Dart pullin the wheels a bit. The rear was unbraced but upgraded axles and such.

No problem. How much power are you looking to make?

Fyi, my buddy ran his 8-3/4 behind a 500 stroker and 727 into the 9.40's in a all steel 69 Dart pullin the wheels a bit. The rear was unbraced but upgraded axles and such.

Eventually i'd like to put at least a well built 408 in my Cuda, prob around 525 Horse....I also thought about stroking a 440 I have, but I'm leaning toward keeping it a small block car.. I have not an ounce of doubt an 8 3/4 would handle that, I originally went for this rear end because the guy thought it was a Dana....

When you say it is a little pricey to shorten them how much is that in dollars? I have two of them with 3.55's, at least one of them a posi. It looks like it would be a good upgrade if the shortening was reasonable. Any idea who would shorten them?

Thanks,
dartjack

-
Back