9" brake drums

-

Valleyant

Valleyant
Reaction score
Hi,
Where is the best place to find some new 9" front brake drums for my '72 Plymouth Valiant. Have had a heck of a time with brand new out-of-round drums from a major parts company and I can't waste any more time and patience. Thanks for your help!

I know rockauto has them and most of their 9" drum parts are much cheaper than 10". I like Centric because they have drawings of most of their drums with the critical dimensions. That shows attention to detail lacking from most companies. That said, most brake drums I have seen have "made in Canada" on them, so maybe all come from the same factory.

Thanks Bill. I want to try to find some nos or good used "made in America" drums. Have had a heck of a time with the new ones I got recently. Out of round and needing to be turned/trued. Doesnt make sense doing this to a new drum. Just as a side note......I just found a '72 Valiant in the junkyard and I am buying the complete 10" drum brake system just for when I upgrade from the 9's.

I cringe every time I hear 9" drums. They were horrible brakes that barely worked even when brand new. 10" were quite a bit better but of course disc brakes beat them all. Good luck.

I cringe every time I hear 9" drums.
I drove a 69 Dart slant w/ 9" manual drums for 18 years. I don't recall any problem stopping or skidding the tires if I wanted. My wife drove it and never complained either. It always stopped straight. I have 9" drums on my 64 convertible and am keeping them for now, though changing to a dual MC.

The main superiority of front disks is for repeated braking from high speed, where the brakes have little time to cool, or constant downhill braking which only clueless drivers do. Disks with a hollow interior (not all) that cools better because more surface area and they move air like a fan impeller. I found a ~1965 Dodge ad online promoting the new disk brake option. It says the drum brakes work fine for normal driving, but disks work better "in repeated braking like road racing" (as I recall).

Drums work good... and look how many years they was used in the worst conditions back in the day when these cars hit the hwy
Granted disc are better, but don't cut these drum short.
They are faster and have less drag, and I would believe lighter.
one day I will do my front but what I have works great on my 2.730 lb early A and will stop on a dime..

-
Back