9" drum left hand thread stud removal

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
do I need to have a shop remove the swedge?? then drive em out or can I just drive em out right now? Thank you for your time. RR

If you can remove some of the swedge it will go easier with less stress on the stud.

Hey Robert, I just drill them out from the back side with a 1/2" bit. Just enough to knock the head off then punch them through !

If they are indeed swedged over the hole in the drum, yes, you either need to remove that, or, as Rat Rod Al mentioned, remove the head on the inside of the hub and drive the stud out from the inside. We're assuming that you're doing this to replace the drum, so, damaging the drum isn't important. You just don't want to damage the hub. Those aren't available new. Before you get carried away with this process, check the outer bearing race in the hub to see if it's loose. It's a very common problem with those hubs and would require a replacement if the race doesn't fit tight.

very good comprehensive info. nascar requires 1" lug nuts & they are not available in 7/16" left hand thread so they gotta come out. I will use you guys' advice. thanks again! RR

-
Back