9 old tools almost nobody uses anymore

-
I was doing fine till they got silly.

No one but a very few have a distributor machine or a full blown engine analyzer.

Babbitt bearings I don't even know what it is.

And sit rims come on.

I have all, and more, except for the Babbit bearing stuff, and the split rim tools. How about the old "Carbon" pile battery tester? Snap on MT539 like this https://www.k-bid.com/auction/17806/item/97?offset=97
Old Black and Decker valve facing machine and valve seat grinder. Winona bronze wall valve guide tools.
King pin reamers
Wheel stud swedge cutters

Last edited:
Well what I don't have is the distributor machine, split rims tools, and anything to do babbit bearings. Having the knowlage and tools to babbit would be useful for some of the things I get into. When I was doing a tractor overhaul one of the rod bearings was starting to flake. The shops are hard to find, they wanted 160 dollars per rod and they were six months behind. Special work need special tools and skills.

brods.jpg

How about the old "Carbon" pile battery tester?
I have one ! I recently tossed my Chevy Vega rear brake spring KD tool. Bought it in 1972 used once.
Plug gap tool, got several. Distributor wrench,several of them too.Tach & dwell. Had 2 not sure where they are ??

Last edited:
I use 3. If it weren't for my air-drill, I'd be changing batteries for my hole-saws every 5 minutes.

Silly article. I literally used that exact spark plug gap tool the other day. If I have to take out a distributor, I use a distributor wrench. I have a Sun Distributor machine too.

Well what I don't have is the distributor machine, split rims tools, and anything to do babbit bearings. Having the knowlage and tools to babbit would be useful for some of the things I get into. When I was doing a tractor overhaul one of the rod bearings was starting to flake. The shops are hard to find, they wanted 160 dollars per rod and they were six months behind. Special work need special tools and skills.

View attachment 1716058808
Don't have the tools, but did have a Crank ground .040 under in my old chevey truck. 1952 farm truck, made into a race car hauler. 235 cid splash oiler 6 cyl. Bought the rods from a auto parts store (they were in stock). Wow, talk about dating myself.

I've been around most all of that except for babbit bearings. And I will admit most people don't have/ have access to to a distributor machine or ignition scope. But even a dwell meter is still useful---for setting idle RPM and adjusting carb mixture needles and so on.

And you can do a rudimentary cylinder balance test with one, just set up idle, and before starting, rig the dist. boots so you can get small brads or paper clips down in each tower, then go around with a grounding probe and short each cylinder

I have and still use all but a couple on that first list.

I have an old Dwell meter from the early 70s that my dad left in the garage for me but I've never used it nor do I plan on it. Everything I have goes to electronic ignition

I have an old Dwell meter from the early 70s that my dad left in the garage for me but I've never used it nor do I plan on it. Everything I have goes to electronic ignition
You can still use it for the RPM feature.

Old model T fords used babbit, as most engines did in that era. My dad used to have a 1927 Henderson 4 cylinder motorcycle that had babbit bearings.
Distributor wrench, use it all the time. I still use air tools, especially body work tools but no longer use air impacts. I invested alot of money and have a full line of milwaukee M18.

I've got air tools that I rarely use anymore, plus a distributer hold down wrench.
In construction framing, air tools are still popular.
Corded tools are on the way out in many cases. Battery electric saws, sawzalls, drills, impacts, multi-tools are rapidly displacing stuff with power cords.

I would love to have an analyzer. Played with one back in college, they had a huge one stuffed in the corner of the shop. I just thought it was cool. Tossed my obd stuff out a while back. Nice snap on scanner with all the cards and boxes. Should have kept it might be worth something some day

alignment rack
Had a old drive on AMMCO rack that sat in the corner because of no place to set it up.Kid next door took it to the scrap yard.
Kept the turn tables,bubble gauges and toe trammel bar.Still use those items today.

-
Back