9 seconds on 9 inches???

-

SixFourDart

Reaction score
Wanting to build a 69 dart that runs highs 9 second to low 10 second quarter mile. It currently has 8 3/4 with s/s springs relocated inward and a pinion snubber 28x9 slicks on the rear. I love the small tire cars that run big numbers. Just not sure if that small of tire would put the power down and make it stick.
The car has an a&a trans with a brake also.
Should I ditch the s/s springs for caltracs??

Wanting to build a 69 dart that runs highs 9 second to low 10 second quarter mile. It currently has 8 3/4 with s/s springs relocated inward and a pinion snubber 28x9 slicks on the rear. I love the small tire cars that run big numbers. Just not sure if that small of tire would put the power down and make it stick.
The car has an a&a trans with a brake also.
Should I ditch the s/s springs for caltracs??
No, go ladder bars or 4 link if you want a real suspension. Of course you can run those numbers on stock leaf springs but why spend the effort unless your racing a class that doesn't allow it.

No, go ladder bars or 4 link if you want a real suspension. Of course you can run those numbers on stock leaf springs but why spend the effort unless your racing a class that doesn't allow it.

because it works without the hassle...

Attachments

• wheelsup.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 598
At your weight it's not hard to do what your looking to do. IF your stuck on leafs you can by a set up or make something that will work well for less,$$$,but will still require tuning as do Caltracs. I'd go Assasins if I was stuck on leafs. Ladder bars or 4 link can stick in a blizzard and are far better if you race many tracks and conditions. Period!

Attachments

• hood spring 236.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 592
I like seeing fast small tire cars too. One of my all time favorites was watching this one in the link below. It was stupid simple and was what I would call a real street car. I seen him drive in and race at both Irwindale and California Speedway running 6.40's in the 1/8th and 10.00 in the quarter. Then pick up his girl friend from the stands and drive home. Jim died a few years back in a off road accident. His Nova lives on, although it's now running a big block with just juice. Still running the same times and winning races.

The Nove would actually leave the starting line with a very mellow looking 1.42 second sixty foot and would just pull like crazy to the finish line.
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0405_1964_chevy_nova/viewall.html

^^ heck yea thats what I like. Run a smaller slick and pulling off 9's. Makes the backed half guys look silly.

cal tracs,with mono springs,ladder bars or 4 link,all of those are adjustable too,ditch the ss spring ideal,this isnt the 60s or 70s

brother in laws old 73 duster had a a herb mc. motor in it 451 rb with iron -1 heads a pg trans and 456 gear went 6.20 on a 9" slick with leafs... broke the ring and pinion after about 20 or so pass and ladder bar the car cage and coil overs car would go 660/670 in the 1/8 mile...he didn't know how to tune the chassis but the car was bad before all the updates..oh with redrilled axles as well:prayer::prayer::prayer:

if he's ditching the SS springs and delving into fab work, why bother keep the 9".

if he's moving perches and welding stuff he might just as well go full tub at that point.

if he's ditching the SS springs and delving into fab work, why bother keep the 9".

if he's moving perches and welding stuff he might just as well go full tub at that point.

why? we run 31x12.5's on our SS cars with just and inboard spring kit and some massaging...

Attachments

• purple dart 018.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 512
just sayin...

people are telling him to get 4links or caltracs and stuff... if he's doing that much fab work, spending the money why would he even stay with 9" slicks at that point. would be a waste to not make room for 12.5's if he's spending all that cash / putting the work into it. while he's got it apart, why design it around 9" slicks

just sayin...

people are telling him to get 4links or caltracs and stuff... if he's doing that much fab work, spending the money why would he even stay with 9" slicks at that point. would be a waste to not make room for 12.5's if he's spending all that cash / putting the work into it. while he's got it apart, why design it around 9" slicks

Exactly! I am wanting to try to get the most bang for my buck. The 9 inch slicks and s/s springs will get me in the tens easy I know this. I am building a bigger 440 and am wanting to try and keep the 9 inch slicks if at all possible. Most likely I will end up mini tubbing the car but right now I wanna see what the stock tubs and 8 3/4 can do. I am also considering a back brace on the 8 3/4. I have ran s/s many times on different set ups. But now I am hearing that caltracs are the way to go if you have serious HP and small tires..

Caltracs are not a magic pill that makes cars fast. For what it's worth, after spending $1000 on the full Caltrac setup (links, mono's, shocks front and rear) and tuning it for a year, I still can't beat my best 60' time on BONE STOCK SPRINGS....no joke. It is more consistent on the Caltracs, but if your car is hooking (which mine was) then you probably won't gain much if any. Just my opinion and observation. One of my friends that races a Valiant put Caltracks on this year, his car runs exactly the same as it did before...again, his car was hooking fine prior to switching to Caltracs.

If you are running a T-brake I would get rid of the 8 3/4 while you can still sell it in one piece and get a dana. If you car is nice and light, and the 8 3/4 was back braced it might last...hard to say...much better to sell it while it is in one piece in my opinion to off set the cost of the dana.

forget about those good for nothing cowtracks, they leave way to much on the table, a total waste of money for an a-body. put that money you don't waste into your motor. the 9" slicks and ss springs will take you deep into the 9 second zone.

Another consideration would be your local track, do they prep the track well? I run a Demon with 360 and 29.5 X 9 slicks. It runs 11.60s. My local tracks, Firebird, and Speedworld in AZ, both were hit an miss when it came to track prep. If the prep was good, I could hook great on 9" tires, only running mid 11s. I have heard that running 10" rims on 9" slicks will help. However for me, since my slicks were wearing out and I needed to go to 10" rims anyway, I elected to move my springs in, and mini tub and now have 11.5" wide slicks just so that when the tracks are lazy I can still run all out. I do have Caltracks with monoleafs, but if I was to do it all over, I would have gone straight to mini tubs and would have used ladder bars instead.

I do agree that it can be done on either cal tracs or S/S springs and a snubber. But my question is to you have you ever driven anything that ran 9's on that small of a tire? It is a total had full and will be hit or miss depending on track conditions. I was only in the 10.90-11.0 range when I realized that a small tire car isn't for me. Don't get me wrong it has and can be done on a 9" slick. Hell I've seen 8 second passes on a 9" slick but I sure as hell wouldn't drive it. :wack:

Have a 9 second duster now but it has 14x32 under it...I know it will most likely be a hand full on the top end especially.

I'll point out the number of 9 second SS cars on a 9.0x30.0 radial slick and...caltracs and springs.

At a low 10/high 9 second level Ladders and four links simply aren't needed.

I just stood on the starting line a Divisional race a few weeks ago and watched a small tire, caltrac super stocker leave off the trans brake and scraped the rear valance panel.

There's also a guy here locally that has a BIG block X-brand car. Goes 1.20 in 60'...8.80 @ 155. 275 Drag radial...and caltracs and springs.

-
Back