90 deg oil filter adapter question

-

69 Valiant Kid

Reaction score
any of you use the short oil filters instead of the adapter?...if so do you have the mopar part number for the shortie...and if not, anyone have an adapter they wanna get rid of and can you put the adapter on after headers and engine is installed?

I run a NAPA 1085 shortie on mine. The Wix number is 51085. It clears the headers. Can't help you on the block adapter. Jeff

Kid,
I had the adaptor..but you don't need it! I now just use the shorty. Less places for leaks to happen and you have lots of room with the TTIs. Just ensure you put down rags when taking off.
PS If headers are cold during change - I even put a small sheet of plastic below the filter first before taking off. (just incase of oil spillage)
PSS Every time I change my oil..I change the filter, so I'm not concerned about a smaller filter doing it's job.
Jim

Why would you run a Napa and not a WIX? Notice how they use the same numbers except WIX have a 5 in front?

Both filters are basically the same and made by the Gard Corp in Gastonia NC.

WIX or Napa Gold are good filters and built well. If you want a POS filter, get a Fram. Now THATS a scary filter.

Yup, Wix and Napa are the same and either one is a good filter.

IM000910.jpg

I use the NAPA gold1068 or Wix51068 - its a 3/4 length and will work too for a little more filtering.

You usually don't have room if you have headers and no adapter but if you have a remote filter kit on like mine you can run a Napa 1515 or Wix 51515. I believe it's the longest in the series.

WIX or Napa Gold are good filters and built well. If you want a POS filter, get a Fram. Now THATS a scary filter.[/QUOTE]

amen to that. just pulled another defective fram hp4 from a car. the upper seal bloats and allows oil to get past and leak all over the exhaust.

i knew frams were bad.....ive just been a huge fan of mopar filters...i use them all day long at work and they are money...im gonna use whatever gets me by without an adapter for right now...i want this car on the road...

I ran the shorty Wix to clear the sidepipe tubes on the 360 that was in my 73 scamp. Never had any problems.

well unfortunatly with the 165 (im running spitires)there isnt any way NOT to run either a remote filter or the 90 degre adapter lmk i have an exta if ya need ti

Don't take this as gospel truth, I'm just posting what my engine builder told me when we started to build my 340....that the 90 degree filter adapters, stock or aftermarket, have a number of bends within them, a tortured path for the oil to follow. I was told to use the shorter filter, or better yet, get one of the System One (looks like a trashcan) reusable filters.
Did you know, there are three different filter mounting studs, with varying restiction levels? I have seen 2 of these, the best one has the hex on the outer edge, wide open center...the worst, has the square drive center, it's the most restrictive.
The "good" one is supposed to be found in truck applications. Might be worth yanking a few oil filters off to get a good one from the "salvage and reclamation facility" (PC for yunkyard) LOL!
The filter plates vary also, some having as many as 8 drainback holes, and some as few as four. Drill a few extras if yours has less.
Remember, there is a gasket under the filter plate, Napa has them if the "other" store guys don't know what you are talking about....
Many people don't believe in using the high volume pumps, just using a standard volumn version, and putting the black high pressure spring into them. Worth a few horsepower. Smallblocks seem to have a problem, in that it's easier to pump the oil upstairs, than to keep it down on the main bearings.
I wish I could say I didn't find out the hard way.....
Thanks Mopar Action, that's where I read this stuff.
Hope this helps,
Alan627b

napa, wix, and even car quest are the same filters. last 4 numbers tell the truth. i think affina is now the company who distributes them. stopped using fram after one colapsed on my driver years ago.

-
Back