90 deg oil filter adapter

-

demon tracks

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and currently have a 360 in a 74 duster on my maiden voyage home with her I took it up to 115mph on the interstate, when I pulled off onto my exit and stopped at the light I smelled oil and then saw mountains of embarrasing smoke rolling out from under the hood,I didn't know what to think but limped home as it was only a short distance,I popped the hood open and it was coated with oil mainly on the passenger side, I fired it up and could see a thin stream of oil running down the oil filter adapter,I've searched the forums and have resealed the adapter per the threads I have read and viola it still leaks what I would like to to is just put a short filter directly onto the block and to my understanding all I need to do is is remove the threaded fitting that is on the 90 deg adapter where the oil filter threads on and install into the block then spin my filter directly to the block?Is this all thats involved or am I misguided,I have what I believe are stock exhaust manifolds

thanks, chris

On engines without the 90 degree adaptor there is a plate installed using a double threaded hollow bolt. One side attaches the plate to the block and other side the oil filter screws onto it. You will need these if removing the 90 degree unit.

Here is what it looks like from one of my parts manuals. The threaded adapter is the same part number if your 90 degree is a early cast iron unit. Part number on the plate is 2402103 might still be available at the dealer.

IMG_2281.JPG

did you replace the gasket between the adapter and the block I made mine from a sheet of gasket paper when I had the same problem

There is also 2 gaskets on the hollow bolt the holds the 90 degree adapter on, one inside and one outside.

There is also 2 gaskets on the hollow bolt the holds the 90 degree adapter on, one inside and one outside.

Actually the part number for the 90 degree gasket kit is P5249320 and that includes all three gaskets. The last time that I changed one it leaked like crazy and I just kept on tightening it down till it stopped. The next time that I do one I'm going to soak the large gasket overnight in oil and see if that helps it from leaking.

thanks for the replies I see exactly what I need now,no I didn't change the gasket between the block and the plate I see now I should have but I think I have room enough to just delete the 90 deg adapter which is the early cast iron one so I can use the threaded fitting from the adapter

thanks guys, chris

I had the same problem. I changed all the gaskets, tightened it up and it still leaked after a little bit. I took the 90 degree adapter off and drug it across some fine sand paper on a flat surface until the entire surface was shiny. Put it back on with new gaskets and no more leak....

I would try what michformulaS just suggested and if it still leaks track down one of the stock plates but before you put it on drill 4 extra holes (one between each of the existing holes). It just gives you a little more flow.
I have always had the best luck using the Wix short filters when I didn't have enough room.

-
Back