90* oil filter adapter????

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
does anyone still sell these damn things new? been chasing a oil leak and it seems to be the adapter. i even pulled it down yeaterday, cleaned up all the surfaces and put all new gaskets in, a ne center bolt and better looking copper washer and the damnthing still seems to leak. only thing that gets oil onit is the bottom of the filter. everything above that point is dry. oil starts at the filter and sprays tp the trans pan.. pissing me off. car runs and drives incredible now since i did all the work to it back in jung but this leak is killing me..

IMG_20240816_123623.jpg

IMG_20240816_123641.jpg

IMG_20240816_123701.jpg

IMG_20240816_123721.jpg

Either a hairline crack or porosity issue causing the leak?

thats what i'm wondering.. i looked and couldn't see any cracks with the naked eye. it was fine on the old motor which was changed out in june but who knows.. anything could have happened. found a couple on ebay but who knows if they are any good.

thats what i'm wondering.. i looked and couldn't see any cracks with the naked eye. it was fine on the old motor which was changed out in june but who knows.. anything could have happened. found a couple on ebay but who knows if they are any good.
When I worked for Harley we used a dye for case cracks or porosity issues. That may help determine where it's coming from. Adding it and running the motor to circulate it thru the system and then wipe down the part and wait.

Last edited:
i had one years ago that the copper washer was hard as balls on. i chased my *** for a good hot minute on it. wound up torching the washer to get some soft back into it and lightly dressing under the bolt head and boss with some sandpaper.

to my knowledge these are NLA, so used is the only option.

You don't say what engine, but LA uses one plate and magnum engines use a different plate.

does anyone still sell these damn things new? been chasing a oil leak and it seems to be the adapter. i even pulled it down yeaterday, cleaned up all the surfaces and put all new gaskets in, a ne center bolt and better looking copper washer and the damnthing still seems to leak. only thing that gets oil onit is the bottom of the filter. everything above that point is dry. oil starts at the filter and sprays tp the trans pan.. pissing me off. car runs and drives incredible now since i did all the work to it back in jung but this leak is killing me..

View attachment 1716290180

View attachment 1716290181

View attachment 1716290182

View attachment 1716290183
Even Mancini doesn't offer a new one. Can you get by with out the 90° adapter? Mancini Racing Oil Filter Adapter Kit

1723829910500.png

i had one years ago that the copper washer was hard as balls on. i chased my *** for a good hot minute on it. wound up torching the washer to get some soft back into it and lightly dressing under the bolt head and boss with some sandpaper.

to my knowledge these are NLA, so used is the only option.

brand new copper washer but it could be too hard.. wonder if i should try heating that damn thing.. wonder if they are made to hard.. now that you mention it i do remember re-using an old copper washer on the old engine and my buddy heated it up and that ***** never leaked.

I think it is just the washer. It doesn't look like it is sitting flat in pic 701. Hang it on a steel wire then anneal with a hand torch. Oil it before torquing the bolt.

mine wound up being valve cover bolts a little too loose - mirror & flashlight found mine - very slight , snugged up & it did stop Good luck. Almost scary when everything is dry !!

What block are you using. older adapters won't fit the later blocks. They'll leak. I ended up using a magnum plate and a remote adapter on my block.

dont lose your mind !!! any doubts about an 50 yr old part just save yourself the mess and remote the filter

mine wound up being valve cover bolts a little too loose - mirror & flashlight found mine - very slight , snugged up & it did stop Good luck. Almost scary when everything is dry !!

i checked everything above the filter today.. dry as can be.. intake, oil pressure fitting and valve covers..

How much torque are you putting on the bolt? I fortunately had my exhaust off when replacing mine and was able to get a torque wrench on it for the (40lb?) spec. This is one of those moments where exact tq is needed imo.

I’ve also seen a double gasket in the block recess where the adapter mates up. This was on my 273 that didn’t leak, but I had to use a thin flat blade to remove the hardened gasket material. It looked like the block until I started cleaning and scraping.

Just some extra ideas.

I had to tighten the crap out of it. Was concerned the bolt might break. But my leak stopped.

-
Back