902 heads

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for some info on big block 902 series heads. Searched google to little luck. Thanks in advance

Similar flows and port shapes to the 346 and 452, but more prone to cracking in the exhaust seat and between the intake and exhaust seats. Pass on them for that reason if you have other options.

Oh, by the way, this isn't something I have read on the internet. I have extensive experience with 902 heads.

Similar flows and port shapes to the 346 and 452, but more prone to cracking in the exhaust seat and between the intake and exhaust seats. Pass on them for that reason if you have other options.

Ok thanks. They came on a 68 440 i got for free a couple weeks ago. Complete with bigger valves and Comp Cams 1.5 rockers and springs

I would follow Jim's advice as he has a lot of experience in the area.....BUT FWIW, I figured I'd throw this out there. Those are the heads my friend has on his car nicknamed "5300". It's a 76 Grand Fury wagon that weighs 5300 pounds and runs 12.80s with a stock bore and stroke 440. They are unported. I was not aware they were more prone to cracking. But then I have not seen that many, either. They can be made to work obviously, if that's what you have.

I would follow Jim's advice as he has a lot of experience in the area.....BUT FWIW, I figured I'd throw this out there. Those are the heads my friend has on his car nicknamed "5300". It's a 76 Grand Fury wagon that weighs 5300 pounds and runs 12.80s with a stock bore and stroke 440. They are unported. I was not aware they were more prone to cracking. But then I have not seen that many, either. They can be made to work obviously, if that's what you have.

Oh yeah for sure. I will take his advice. I'm kind of collecting big block heads for some reason. I've got 452s 516s and now 902...all free. They all need work so if I decide to run any of them, I'd probably go 516s based on what I've read so far.

Oh yeah for sure. I will take his advice. I'm kind of collecting big block heads for some reason. I've got 452s 516s and now 902...all free. They all need work so if I decide to run any of them, I'd probably go 516s based on what I've read so far.

You're doin the opposite of what I did a few summers ago. I scrapped some 452s, 346s, 906s and some 915s. Had to have the money. Tried to GIVE them away here but nobody wanted um.

You're doin the opposite of what I did a few summers ago. I scrapped some 452s, 346s, 906s and some 915s. Had to have the money. Tried to GIVE them away here but nobody wanted um.
Yeah, guess if I ever need a boat anchor, I'll have a couple....

I think it has reached the point that for about the same cost as rebuilding stock heads (especially if they have to be shipped), you can get a pair from 440 Source or the like for the same money.

I could be wrong, but 902's were used on motor homes also. There were some made that had an extra hole drilled in them to get more coolant flow. Somewhere I have a pic if someone really needed to see it. Never heard of the cracking issue, but hey, they all crack. If you have the heads with the extra coolant hole, just be sure to use the right gasket. Like I said, I am not absolutely sure the 902 head is the one I am talking about, but someone will jump in if I am wrong. I have stacks of bb heads of all numbers, they are at the point of scrap value now. I see them at swap meets going for one or two hundred, but they never seem to get bought. Wish they were worth that.

Thought I could be wrong. Here is pic. This head is a 213.

Attachments

• 213s[2].jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 444
-
Back