903 2/3 Upshift

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I have a 904 in my car and have been having some problems with it for a while now. I had it apart 3 times after it was rebuilt and found that the front drum inner lip seal was rolled over. Fixed it and that fixed almost all the shifting issues.
The problem now is the 2/3 upshift. At say half throttle, the 1/2 shift is perfect ( I reinstalled the checkball to soften it up a little). The 2/3 shift is very soft and I can't tell if it's has a flare or it has overlap. It has a TF-2 kit in it and I didn't put the restrictor in the case.
Now at WOT, that's another story. The thing shift's great, as it should. The 1/2 is a lot firmer and the 2/3 is firm and quick when shifted on it's own.
I don't have a tach in it yet so I can't really see if it's flares between gear changes. It's not going to be something easy like a out of adjustment throttle rod, everything has been checked and rechecked several times.
I was looking at the front servo and it has been air tested and it's fine. Front clutch pack air tested fine too. It has a 4.2 lever in it and I have the band adjusted to 1 1/4 turns out.
If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be gratefull.

What was the clearance in the high gear clutch pack? Why did't you use the restrictor? The pressures vary depending on the throttle input but to be correct is should be smooth and quick regardless of the throttle. That restrictor gives the 2nd gear band a chance to release before the high gear clutch applies. Because the clutch applies a lot faster than the band releases. I would try adjusting the band to 2 turns out and see if that affects the 2/3 shift quality at all. If it does, I may be wrong and you might want to have the pressures tested. If it does not, then stick the restrictor in there. It really should need to be there if the other mods and clearances are right.

................I've never left out the restrictor, and thats on at least 100 builds......2nd gear band needs at least 2 turns out.........what do u have 4 springs in the front servo.....whats the front clutch clearance, how many clutches...kim...............

Well here's all the settings:
Stock front and rear servo and stock springs in them.
Double seal accumulator with a blocker rod.
Direct clutch is a 4 clutch unit with 5 Red Eagles and Kolene steels. Clearance is .070 on the direct clutch.
It has the A&A coil spring pack.
Foreward clutch is a 3 clutch unit with 4 Alto Red Eagles. Clearance set at 025. Does not creep in neutral.
It has the 4.2 lever adjusted to 1 1/4 turns out.
Rear band adjusted to 2 1/2 turns out.
Valve body has a Trans go TF-2 kit in it.
PR valve is set 3 turns from flush.
Also has a 2.74 gear set with a 2600 stall converter.

I didn't put the restrictor in because the directions for the kit said only 727 cases get them. I did check the line pressure last year and it was over 95 lbs.
I will try and loosen the front band to two turns. I thought that 1 1/4 turns was tight also. Thanks guys, Bob

It's been a while but I thought there was a new spring in the kit for the kickdown servo? A stock spring here, coupled with that 4.2 lever, might make the band sluggish to retract. What is the coil spring pack? The upgrade from the single wound spring? I'd think if you have all the springs in there you may want to try the restrictor.

-
Back