904 band adjustment

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to install a Transgo shift kit in my 904 before it goes in my project car.
It was recommended to me that I do a kickdown band and reverse band adjustment while i have trans opened up. I found these instructions on online. Can anyone actually post a picture identifying they two parts in question

Attachments

• _ Repair Guides _ Automa...ustments _ AutoZone.pdf
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 212
You'll find much better illustrations / pictures in factory service manuals.
There have been a very few cases where attempting to turn the one adjust screw inside the case snapped it right off. I don't know why that happened nor do I mean to cause worry. Just saying, if it happens to you its wasn't because you did something wrong.
Good luck

Thanks Redfish. I have a 72 Chrysler chassis manual.
I have never done any internal transmission work, but from what I can see the shift kit looks pretty basic. The band adjustment does cause me some worry. This is a stock great running 904 that's out of the vehicle going behind a mildly built up 318 and a high stall stock converter....

Rear band
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoIH8ebXNZY"]904 Torqueflite Rear Band Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]
This is the procedure. The information contained within says to tighten it to snug and back off four turns. Most people(and manuals) say 72 inch pounds and back off two and a half turns. I don't think it matters much.

Front band
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6562c-8pBU"]904 Torqueflite Front Band Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

904 with V8 uses double wrap band 4 turn out

904 with /6 use single wrap band 2 turns out...

This is the procedure. The information contained within says to tighten it to snug and back off four turns. Most people(and manuals) say 72 inch pounds and back off two and a half turns. I don't think it matters much.

It actually matters a lot. A mal-adjusted band will not work properly and burn itself up. As Tony pointed out the difference in the adjustment stems from the 2 types of bands used. Seems a lot of manuals don't make a point of identifying the different bands

Dusterdaddy, the trans-go shift kit instructions give a slightly different spec for the front band adjustment. Go by their instructions since your modifying it with their shift improver kit. The rear band gets adjusted the same as stock.

-
Back