904 Build Parts List

-

80fbody

Reaction score
About to order parts to rebuild my 904 for a 380-400hp smallblock I have. It's going to see the track maybe 4-5 times a year. Man the total is really adding up.

Parts from A&A Trans.
1. Rebuild kit with thin reds & kolene steels
2. 2nd gear semi rigid red band
3. double wrap red reverse band w/ grooves
4. billet low/reverse piston kit
5. Bolt in sprag
6. multi spring retainer
7. heavy duty front band strut
8. 4.2 lever

This comes out to $560.00 . Am I going overboard with parts? Or am I missing anything, etc. It is my first tranny build.

are you putting 5 thin disc in the front drum?

Have used this rear servo kit in every 904 I have done...
# S12912 Piston, Rear servo, A904 / A500, 2.545 inch dia.
Low / Reverse, Sonnax # 22912A
$14.54

Also...just replace the old parts in the sprag with new roller and springs,...
A12654 Sprag, 904 Spring & roller kit
10 springs & 10 rollers, 1964-88
$2.11

Well those prices are certainly less expensive. I think I'm a little off track.

Oh & yes, I believe it's a 4cl drum & was planning on 5 thins in there.

What makes a 904 "neutral" between 2nd and 3rd when I am on the throttle hardish? Mine started doing that when I put the stroker in. 500HP...

Well those prices are certainly less expensive. I think I'm a little off track.

Oh & yes, I believe it's a 4cl drum & was planning on 5 thins in there.

look around at bulkpart.com

I lost all my links for my transmission parts...have to go get some receipts to see where i bought stuff from...

Tony,

How much power do you throw at your 904's?? The 904 is way cheaper to build it seems than the 727.

Crackedback - Thoughts on 4 clutch vs 5 clutch as well as the multi spring setup? Overkill for 400hp?

At 400hp you could do the 5 clutch if you wanted, not absolutely necessary.

The multi spring is good, you're at the top side of the stock stuff when you start getting over 400hp IMO. It's $100 or so and not a bad investment if you go bigger later.

Buy a kit and then get another set of thin rear clutch pack fibers/steels to make them fit if you want to go that direction.

I thought bolt in sprag for 904 wasn't that big of a deal, but nice to have?

At 400hp you could do the 5 clutch if you wanted, not absolutely necessary.

The multi spring is good, you're at the top side of the stock stuff when you start getting over 400hp IMO. It's $100 or so and not a bad investment if you go bigger later.

Buy a kit and then get another set of thin rear clutch pack fibers/steels to make them fit if you want to go that direction.

Thanks for the help. Will probably do that Also going to get the servo & sprag kit that 70aarcuda mentioned. That should get me started. I'm sure i'll need another part or two once I start.

If anyone has a deep pan, I may be interested.

I would not use a 904 behind that turbo ...not something with stock internals...

the multi spring kit comes into play in higher rpms...the big spring unwinds and lets the clutch disc drag..

I use the 904s for bracket racing ...generally seeing less then 7k rpm...I have used stock disc and a 4 disc front drum in a bracket car with no problems...

one of the reason i switch to 5 disc is because of the transbrake...give an increase of 25% clutch surface available to hold the car.....and I use the rear clutch thinner .061 disc in the front drum....and the Kevlar band on the front and rear bands...

I probably use some parts that are not required for a daily driver...but i dont like to take trans out of the car...and i want the trans to last many season at the races...

of the 4 904s i use only one has a bolt in sprag...only cause the sprag got killed went a ring gear broke...but I do replace the rollers and springs as listed in that kit...

Ok. Looking at Bulkpart. They seem to have most items.

Am I correct to order (9) 0.61 thin Alto reds & 1 kolene steel module? Will that take care of the drums?

Going to get a overhaul kit, washers, bushings, sprag, servo, TF-2 kit.

-
Back