904 converter question

-

Dart_br

Reaction score
Hi all

I just bought a new torque converter, and the stator looks that does not match with the reaction shaft. It have the same splines number, but the stator in the converter is much bigger than the shaft, the stator spins freely inside the converter. Is it normal?
I took a picture that shows the stator splines have the same size as the "tube" that turns the oil pump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 218
Hi all

I just bought a new torque converter, and the stator looks that does not match with the reaction shaft. It have the same splines number, but the stator in the converter is much bigger than the shaft, the stator spins freely inside the converter. Is it normal?
I took a picture that shows the stator splines have the same size as the "tube" that turns the oil pump.

I just pulled this torque converter out of 904 '69 Barracuda. I'm doing a 2004R swap and removed the 904 just a few days ago so the converter is fresh. You can compare it to what you have.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC03321.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC03322.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC03323.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 176
I just pulled this torque converter out of 904 '69 Barracuda. I'm doing a 2004R swap and removed the 904 just a few days ago so the converter is fresh. You can compare it to what you have.

Treblig

Thanks for the help, but due to the oil inside your converter i cant identify if its the stator or not. Anyway, if was the stator, is much smaller than mine, and i believe that in this size they would match and lock in the reaction shaft. I think if i assembly inthis way, they will spin over the reaction shaft and demage they.

What year is the transmission, and what company did you get the converter from?
If possible, what part number did the rebuilder give your new converter?

transman

Hello transman, the transmission is a 904 1971 non lockup, the converter is a boss hog pn 53023. I have a 42re here and the oil pump is exactly the same. Even the oil pump shaft.

This is the size of the pump shaft. The stator hub in the converter have the same splines count, but is much bigger, like 1/16 bigger. The pump shaft spins inside of the stator hub. Is that normal? I'm a 4spd guy, automatic transmissions are completely new to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 147
This is the size of the pump shaft. The stator hub in the converter have the same splines count, but is much bigger, like 1/16 bigger. The pump shaft spins inside of the stator hub. Is that normal? I'm a 4spd guy, automatic transmissions are completely new to me.

From the photos it's difficult to see, but do the stator splines look new? The reason I ask, is if the splines haven't been replaced, they could just be worn out. Not every converter rebuilder replaces the splines(saves them money).

Hello transman, the transmission is a 904 1971 non lockup, the converter is a boss hog pn 53023. I have a 42re here and the oil pump is exactly the same. Even the oil pump shaft.

I'm not as familiar with the newer transmissions, but if the 42RE had a lock-up converter, swapping them will not work. Lock-up transmissions have about 3/4" of the shaft tip machined smooth. Non-lock-up has splines all the way to the tip.

From the photos it's difficult to see, but do the stator splines look new? The reason I ask, is if the splines haven't been replaced, they could just be worn out. Not every converter rebuilder replaces the splines(saves them money).
Transman

The splines in the converter looks new, and the oil pump i'll use is new also.
Just to be sure, they should fit tight, right?

I'm not as familiar with the newer transmissions, but if the 42RE had a lock-up converter, swapping them will not work. Lock-up transmissions have about 3/4" of the shaft tip machined smooth. Non-lock-up has splines all the way to the tip.

Hi Myron

The input shaft is different, but the oil pump looks the same.

i'm not as familiar with the newer transmissions, but if the 42re had a lock-up converter, swapping them will not work. Lock-up transmissions have about 3/4" of the shaft tip machined smooth. Non-lock-up has splines all the way to the tip.

x2.

-
Back