904 converter to flex plate clearance

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
With converter seated, have about an 1/8 in it pulls out to attach to flex plate. Is that about correct?

Yes, just pull the converter up to the flexplate and install the bolts. They only install one way so you may need to rotate the converter. 65'

For reference, I always paint one tab of the flex plate and the bolt tab of the converter. That way you don't get frustrated trying to get it to line up correctly.

Yes, just pull the converter up to the flexplate and install the bolts. They only install one way so you may need to rotate the converter. 65'

my question was more how close the converter mounting pad is to the flex plate before you pull converter out to bolt it up.
I had 1/8 inch between them

The converter with probably have about 1/8" +/- so it can spin freely to align the pads to the flex plate. As I said, I align the converter and paint a pad with the arm of the flex plate before installing them.

my question was more how close the converter mounting pad is to the flex plate before you pull converter out to bolt it up.
I had 1/8 inch between them
Stock is actually a little more than that, so it's not "too much" if that's what You're wondering. I've seen them without enough, & they wrecked the frt. pump because when they heated up & swelled(balooned) in action the hub slots side-loaded the pump gear.
Try tagging a member building trannys, I'm not sure what a safe racing minimum is, the reason for the "flex" plate to accommodate expansion. But if the crank-end hub of the converter bottom-seats in the crank, it has nowhere to expand but rearward towards the pump.

not sure if it’s the converter core but with the 904 we’ve always had to run a spacer between the block and trans to get any pull back spacing.

BBDC8DF8-DE1C-4AB1-98AE-3541044A2E2E.jpeg

-
Back