904 Differences

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
What else besides the trans pan are some differences between a 727 and 904.

a 727 bigger heavier and robs more porwer then a 904.. the convetors are different, shorter drive shaft for a 727 becaus its longer and like already stated the internals are bigger.. but th 727 is the only way to go for performance is an old school way of thinking anymore.. with all the parts out ther for a 904 they will hold up to quite a bit of porwe and abuse.. there are pleanty of 10 second cars running 904 transmissions. and they aren't using anything really crazy in them.. if you have a trans guy that knows what he is doing then it is a pretty simple build to make one last...

If you have both side by side upside down with the valve body removed they look allmost identical except the 727 is much larger. The clutch carriers are 6 " in a 904 and 7.5" in a 727. (25% more clutch surface area given the same ammount of clutches).

Nothing except the valve body will interchange.

IMO if a person isn't running over 350 hp a good basic performance rebuilt 904 will be fine. Over that and you'll spend quite a few dollars upgrading parts for that last .1-.15 second. Or just use a 727 and never worry about tearing it up.

BTW: I read an article in a magazine a few yrs. back that tested how much HP all the popular auto trannys ate up. The 904 ate up 36hp and the 727 ate up 52 hp. The 727 also weighs about 15 lbs. more than a 904. Really not that much difference there considering the strength you gain in a 727 especially if your running a high torque stroker engine.

Just like matching anything in your combo. If your engine only puts out 300 hp run a 904 and enjoy the extra hp.

The 727 trans is 3 3/4" longer than the 904 but because the yokes are different the 727 driveline would be 4" shorter than the 904. It is true that with a 727 you will get more parasitic lose than with the 904 but your parasitic lose on the 904 will be 100% more than the 727 is it fails on you. A standard rebuild 727 will live behind a higher HP small block but the 904 will have to have a few upgraded items to live behind a higher HP small block. All things to consider.

Chuck

kickdown linkage is different externally, bellhousing is different. Also the front drum may only have 3 clutches in a light duty /6 while a V8 will have 4 or 5 disks. Governor weights, part-throttle kickdown and such differ depending on original application.

Hey guys just a quick and funny story about the abuse a 904 can take.

I was in the Navy for a while and worked on F-14 Tom Cats, the TOW TRACTOR used to haul that monsterous jet around uses a Chrysler 904.
Now with that said, the motor in front of the 904 was a seriously torquey diesel engine that would not go over about 1500-2000 rpm. Well needless to say, being the young JACKA$$ I was, I thought it would be funny to top it out in reverse and drop her into first. (Keep in mind this tow tractor has no roof and wieghs in at about 6500lbs) Well "I sware on my sons life the front wheels came atleast a foot off the ground". Needless to say it became a funny ritual, especially since I worked nights where we didnt get caught doin that crap! Sorry guys I know first hand what a 904 can take and it can take A LOT!!!!! lol later guys

Sweet, Nice to see the 904 getting it's credit. I think alot of people put the 904 and 318 down way too much, both are great pieces of mopar history!!

-
Back