904 dilemma, please help!!!

-

318DSTR

Reaction score
So I'm currently in the home stretch of finishing the 360 that I've been building for the duster. And since I'm plannin on making a pretty significant amount of horsepower(400ish plus 100shot of NOS), I know I'm gonna have to rebuild/ beef up the tranny to be able to handle it. But my dilemma is that I was plannin on just pulling out the 318/904 combo thats in it and dropping the new 360/904 combo right in. But I started rebuilding the spare 904 I was gonna use and realized that its an 82' lock-up model:banghead:. So now I figure I have 2 choices which is where I need y'alls opinion.
A.) Just pull out the tranny thats in the car and rebuild it and sell the other 904
B.) Or Pull the tranny out and rebuild and swap out the lower first gear ratio from the lock up 904, also maybe use the front clutch unit since it has the 5 clutches in it, but im not sure what else i need to change to use it.
I'm getting anxious to get the motor in the car so I'm kinda leaning towards just rebuilding the current 904 and throwing it back in since that would be the quickest and easiest choice, but wanted to hear some other (more experienced) opinions. Sorry for the long post, I appreciate any input.
Thanks, Tom

The only real difference in the lockup and non is the clutch inside the converter, so you might want to think about using it and having OD possibilities.
You don't have to use it to have it available.

For using the OD parts in the non OD, you would need to take the Pump along with both drums and the valve body to make sure you are swap safe.
(I think there are some differences in the front drum bushing as well as the input shaft besides the converter end of the shaft.) Not positive, so if you take all those you should be fine.
The valve body has an extra valve section that is responsible for making OD come on.

I'm sure there are a couple of people here with more recent experience that could tell you the exact details.

The only real difference in the lockup and non is the clutch inside the converter, so you might want to think about using it and having OD possibilities.
You don't have to use it to have it available.

For using the OD parts in the non OD, you would need to take the Pump along with both drums and the valve body to make sure you are swap safe.
(I think there are some differences in the front drum bushing as well as the input shaft besides the converter end of the shaft.) Not positive, so if you take all those you should be fine.
The valve body has an extra valve section that is responsible for making OD come on.

I'm sure there are a couple of people here with more recent experience that could tell you the exact details.

His transmission is a lock-up style trans, not an overdrive transmission. Lockup converters do not provide any overdrive. Why not build the lockup unit and get a quality converter, and if he needs a high stall lockup they are available.

His transmission is a lock-up style trans, not an overdrive transmission. Lockup converters do not provide any overdrive. Why not build the lockup unit and get a quality converter, and if he needs a high stall lockup they are available.

On a technicality.
Lockup converters eliminate converter slip when engaged, so technically it's not an OD you are right.
Still better economy than a standard 3 speed, and just as capable when not in lockup was my point.

-
Back