904 floor shift conversion?

-
Last edited:
That's not an auto shifter.
You would literally only be able to shift it forward and back in a straight line and not have any lockouts for accidentally putting it in park or reverse while running.

Look for an automatic floor shift.
It says for 3 or 4 speed auto trans. seems it would connect same as the shifter on the column?

know of any kits for fairly cheap?

Cheap is relative.
I'm not a fan of everyone having to have expensive race parts by any means, just so you know that.
I love my Hurst Promatic 2 ratchet shifter, and had it on my 904 and now using it on my 42RH overdrive trans.
I got it on here for about 75 bucks.

The problem with cheap is that it is, well, cheap. I think it's OK to cut corners on some things, but I would not cut corners on a shifter. Think about what it does. It's kind of important for the shifter to work properly. Do yourself a favor and get a good one. Cut corners elsewhere.

The problem with cheap is that it is, well, cheap. I think it's OK to cut corners on some things, but I would not cut corners on a shifter. Think about what it does. It's kind of important for the shifter to work properly. Do yourself a favor and get a good one. Cut corners elsewhere.
ok i understand. I didnt realize the qualit of that was so important. good to know. thanks

I just installed a similar mr gasket shifter. it takes some work to get it installed. it is far from a bolt in, but it had the look I wanted.
while I agree the ratchet shifter is more accurate. I don't care for the look in my valiant. It works fine,just no detents for each gear.
To each is own, read up and build it how You want. after all its your car in the end.

I just installed a similar mr gasket shifter. it takes some work to get it installed. it is far from a bolt in, but it had the look I wanted.
while I agree the ratchet shifter is more accurate. I don't care for the look in my valiant. It works fine,just no detents for each gear.
To each is own, read up and build it how You want. after all its your car in the end.
can it switch gears by itself or something? whats so bad about not having the detents?

If it works like I think it does, it does shift the transfer gears, but the detents are vague and nebulous, especially when you have an elongated shifter handle. It can be kind of a crapshoot guessing which gear you're in, especially at night, with no visual indicator. I understand low on funds, but maybe you should not cut corners on safety.

DNasty hit it on the head, much easier to grab the wrong gear. I have a reverse valvebody so its not like I'm going to grab neutral upshifting.

I know they were a lot more plentiful in the late '70s. But the old Mustang floor shifters were pretty decent for swaps. My one and only experience with a ratchet shifter from a well known manufacture was a pain in the backside. It was a "fiddle with it constantly" affair. Of course I date myself, ratchet shifters were kinda new on the scene at the time.

-
Back