904 for drag racing

-

66dartman

Reaction score
Okay, I went down to the junkyard today and pulled a 904 core from a 73 coronet with a 318. What will I need to build it for drag racing behind a 360? Are there 3000+ stall speed converters available? It will be going into my 66 which should weigh about 31-3200# when finished. How much can I expect to spend?
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

How much horsepower will the car make? What ET are you planning for?

We can build you a 9.5" converter to make the needed stall speed, depending on your overall combination. I can also supply you with the needed parts/info to make this transmission work - and work well for bracket racing use.

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. I am hoping to make 400 hp at the flywheel, but you know what this altitude does for our horsepower hopes. I would really like it to break into the 12's at bandimere, but we'll see.

I have a 68' Dart that weighs 3100 lbs. I am using the original 904 tranny. I race the car on weekends and drive the car to local shows. This tranny is behind a pretty stout 273 cu. in. engine. The car runs 12.60's and this tranny works great. All I did was rebuild the tranny, put a low gear set in, manual valve body, and an 8" Turbo Action 4800 stall converter. The car launches unbelivable and to my surprise is very streetable. The car turns 1.67 60 foots.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info 273Dart. I don't think I will need the low gear set as I just put 4.30 gears in the rear. How much did you spend on the rebuild and converter? Just want to have an idea. I will rebuild it myself, and it is hard to find a listing on higher stall 904 converters.

The rebuild and converter, without the low gear set was about $850. The tranny rebuild parts cost about $150 of that cost. I have had about 3 converters in that car and by far this Turbo Action is the best. I didn't want to spend the money for a good converter when I first strated playing with this car, but from experience now I should have just went with the Turbo Action from the beginning. The others were costly mistakes. I called Turbo Action, told them what I wanted to do and they assured me that this was the converter for me. They also told me that if I took their part# and called Summit Racing (1-800-230-3030) I could save some money. I saved about $175 going through Summit. Hope this helps and good luck.

-
Back