904 for small block or slant6

-

dartswinger7

Reaction score
How do I know which 904 I have, I have 2 of them one came in the car attached to a slant 6 casting number 2806830 and the other Trans came in the trunk. Is there casting numbers on the transmissions that will tell me if it will bolt to a small block.

How do I know which 904 I have, I have 2 of them one came in the car attached to a slant 6 casting number 2806830 and the other Trans came in the trunk. Is there casting numbers on the transmissions that will tell me if it will bolt to a small block.

The starter mounting for a slant six is at the top of the bell housing; looks nothing like a 904 for a V8. The V8 case (bell housing) mounts the starter down low, at the bottom.

starter on slant six bell is up near the top....small block starter is lower drivers side

The starter mounting for a slant six is at the top of the bell housing; looks nothing like a 904 for a V8. The V8 case (bell housing) mounts the starter down low, at the bottom.

Looks like Bill bet me by a minute....LOL

Thanks guys I will definitely look at the extra Trans I have to see where the started is if I remember right it was at the bottom. From what I have been reading the 904 does pretty decent behind a small block. FYI first mopar build. Wife bought it for me while I was deployed.

Thanks guys I will definitely look at the extra Trans I have to see where the started is if I remember right it was at the bottom. From what I have been reading the 904 does pretty decent behind a small block. FYI first mopar build. Wife bought it for me while I was deployed.

A well-built 904 can usually handle anything a 340-360-408 can dish out.

Unususal for a 727 to be needed...

So both 904's I have have the starter mount high on the driver side. I guess I'm on the hunt for a 904 for a small block now or 727 which ever comes first. Thanks guys for your help.

So both 904's I have have the starter mount high on the driver side. I guess I'm on the hunt for a 904 for a small block now or 727 which ever comes first. Thanks guys for your help.

The 727 is too heavy internally, and will cost you about a car-length and a half (or, more) in the quarter; don't do it if you care at all, how fast your car is...

Just some food for thought..

Thanks I will Def go with the 904 because the strip is where this car will spend it's life other than the random Sunday drive

-
Back