904 freshening ?

-

66dartgt

Reaction score
Hi tranny experts out there. Several questions:

1) I will be installing my 318 and 904 trans in my 66 dart sometime this spring. The trans was rebuilt using stock pieces, and rebuilt stock converter about 9 years ago, it was run in a car for a short while.. less than 500 miles, then yanked out and has been in my clean dry garage for the last 8 1/2 years waiting for this chance to live again.

2) The motor will be making somewhere around 300-350 hp. Are there any issues with installing the trans as is and running it after having sat for so long? I plan on changing the trans fluid and filter, and draining the torque converter as a minimum.

3) Any thoughts about the durability of this trans in this application, should it be beefed up ?

Any replies are greatly appreciated !

:salut:

If it was me,I would have some one open it up and check and or replace the seals and install a shift kit and a higher stall convertor.Over time,seals can dry and crack,and stick,this is why you start and run motors and trannys every month when not in use.Its cheap insurance to have it checked,and not have it fail, if you install it with out checking it after 8 1/2 years,Mrmopartech

I agree with Mrmopartech. 8-1/2 yrs. is a long time for seals to set. It may work or it may not. If it does work when you first install it it may not last long. Either way it needs a shift improver kit if your going to put 300 plus hp to it. I recommend the Trans-go kit. They are a little more work but they are well worth it. They not only improve the shift quality but correct some minor issues Torqueflites have.

While I agree with the last couple of posts that 8 1/2 years is a long time for a transmission to sit... I would install the engine and transmission "as is" for a few of reasons. 1) it is very easy to pull the transmission out of a 66 dart. 2) transmissions are not designed to be pulled apart several times. 3) it is alot easier to troubleshoot a transmission in the car than on a bench in a bunch of pieces. I have a transmission dyno at work and it is easier to install a transmission in a 66 dart than on the dyno.
4) I "fixed up" an old chevelle that was sitting in field for 12 years and never had any transmission internal sealing issues (I did explode the lo-roller clutch after installing a bigger engine and shift kit). 5) If you carry your trans into a rebuild shop, there is no way for them to test the transmission either. All they would be able to do is clean and rebuild the trans... any problems with the geatrain, bearings, valvebody will most likely be overlooked. For this reason, I never guaranteed any transmission that was carried in.

-
Back