904 Governor failure?

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Tailshaft on the 71 Dart took a crap at the last race. Looks like the governor came apart. It is not used by the Reverse Manual Valve body.....The Transmission was scheduled to be replaced after that weekend but I guess it decided it had enough.

20190224_114557_resized.jpg

20190224_114606_resized.jpg

Dont know if they are...1st one I have ever seen come apart...

it got chunked with the failure of the governor.

I see A&A transmission has a spacer to replace the governor for 17.50....probably would be a good investment for future rebuilds.

Did it blow apart at launch or down track?
I’d check the drive shaft as well for damage.
Very rare that portion of a Chrysler 904 or 727 comes apart.

Sorry for the loss. She put up a good fight.

To be clear, did this one still have the governor weights installed, or was it just the empty housing that came apart?
If I remember correctly, there is just little E-clips holding the weights onto that little rod, and in the housing. Maybe the little E-clip just gave up.
I leave the weights out and just keep the housing itself as a spacer, although I am running a 727. Looks to be setup about the same way.

Yes..it had the weights still on it...and I found both E clips in the pan...it happened went she shifted into 3 gear.....and driveshaft is a new aluminum shaft ...been in car about a year.....

I think this more of a **** happens...but as said...i will get the spacers and change them out as we do maintenance on them

Just throwing an idea out there, the cage on the tail shaft bearing is destroyed. Could the bearing have failed and a ball came out and got between the housing and the tail shaft? or moved the shaft over enough to hit?

i guess anything could happen....as I can only see the damage and have no idea what was 1st....

I had a governor come apart like that on my Wagoneer's 727. Case damage wasn't as bad. Only point is to to say its happened and happened on the street behind a relatively low rpm engine.

Tailshaft on the 71 Dart took a crap at the last race. Looks like the governor came apart. It is not used by the Reverse Manual Valve body.....The Transmission was scheduled to be replaced after that weekend but I guess it decided it had enough.

View attachment 1715294625

View attachment 1715294626
I was talking with a friend of mine about this failure, and his opinion is that with a manual shift valve body, there is no hydraulic pressure or fluid in the governor to control the motion of the weights inside of it. He says the weights in an automatic have controlled pressure on both side of the weights stabilizing there movement.
When switching to manual shift the weights are free to flop around uncontrolled and will fly outwards from centrifugal force. Given the right circumstances there could have been enough force to overcome the small e clips and the weight would dislodge from there bores with great force. Probably threw it right through the case.
The moral is he says is when switching to a manual shift you should at a minimum remove the weights. If you are contemplating the switch to the a & a aluminum spacer you should probably get the aluminum parking gear as well to maintain assembly balance.
The factory parking gear and the governor are a balanced assembly with the parking gear having extra material on one side to offset the heavier on one side governor weight.
I made an aluminum spacer for use with a stock parking gear, but I had to zero balance the parking gear.
Just trying to help with this suggested info.
There are pics in my profile of my spacer and parking gear.

-
Back