904 in the wagon took a dump, any help to be had?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all. I was out for an afternoon jaunt today, and the trans in my 72 Coronet wagon just plain stopped working. The only oddity was about halfway through the drive I was getting on the freeway and stepped on it mildly to get up to speed. There was a small hesitation and a little surge/delay, and then all was moving as normal. About 10 miles later I was at a stop light, and when the light went green the car just plain would not move. Not forward, not backward. I had to call a buddy to bring his truck and drag me the last two miles home.

I have had no issues with this trans to date, with a couple hundred miles on it since I bought it. I do not have any leaks. The trans fluid is full, clear red, and does not smell burnt. Haha, I'm hoping there is a quick and easy solution for what's going on, does anyone have any ideas? I am prepared for the idea it needs major help and a rebuild/upgrade may be in order.

I am completely clueless with automatic transmissions, and to complicate matters the lift in my shop is tied up with my truck at the moment. (Note to self, you will be getting your butt in gear to wrap up the truck and free the lift even though that will take at least a few days.)

Hey Zack, I rebuilt a few of these in my time. Not that hard. I have a manual ( somewhere) that was step by step. Cover had a FB barracuda pulling the wheels on the cover. Kits are cheap.

Screenshot_20240714_213312_Google.jpg

In my opinion, a later 904 with the lower gearset, also known as the A-999.... This is the easiest way to go. All the 80s Fifth Avenue cars had them. 2.74 1st gear compared to 2.45 for a standard 904. These had lockup converters and were all hydraulic. Simple.
Next up would be the A-500, essentially a 999 with overdrive. You'd want an early one though since the functions to control the overdrive is able to be done with a toggle switch. I am not sure if the 500 converter clutch is still hydraulic or electrically engaged.

Howdy all. I was out for an afternoon jaunt today, and the trans in my 72 Coronet wagon just plain stopped working. The only oddity was about halfway through the drive I was getting on the freeway and stepped on it mildly to get up to speed. There was a small hesitation and a little surge/delay, and then all was moving as normal. About 10 miles later I was at a stop light, and when the light went green the car just plain would not move. Not forward, not backward. I had to call a buddy to bring his truck and drag me the last two miles home.

I have had no issues with this trans to date, with a couple hundred miles on it since I bought it. I do not have any leaks. The trans fluid is full, clear red, and does not smell burnt. Haha, I'm hoping there is a quick and easy solution for what's going on, does anyone have any ideas? I am prepared for the idea it needs major help and a rebuild/upgrade may be in order.

I am completely clueless with automatic transmissions, and to complicate matters the lift in my shop is tied up with my truck at the moment. (Note to self, you will be getting your butt in gear to wrap up the truck and free the lift even though that will take at least a few days.)
Disconnect the transmission cooler line to the radiator and direct it into a drain pan or bucket. Have someone start it up with foot on the brake and select each gear range. If no fluid is coming out at all and you have no forward or reverse engagement it may have broken the converter drive hub or the drive lugs in the pump itself. It happens on occasion.

Disconnect the transmission cooler line to the radiator and direct it into a drain pan or bucket. Have someone start it up with foot on the brake and select each gear range. If no fluid is coming out at all and you have no forward or reverse engagement it may have broken the converter drive hub or the drive lugs in the pump itself. It happens on occasion.
I agree. It certainly sounds like a mechanical failure, rather than a seal or valve body issue. You never know, though.

Now would be a great time to go to an A500 ( 42rh ) . We have pull a part here that charges $300 for tranys .
My a518 will be done by weeks end .

-
Back