904 kickdown Q

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart 360/904/5:57 stock car. it will be cruising a bit in 3rd before they drop the green flag. should I wire it all the way back or get the mechanical kickdown linkage that applies it gradually as you give it throttle? thank you for your time. RR

If you are street driving you need the progressive linkage either cable or mechanical.
You will not happy with the way the car shifts (unless you like the loud pedal) after awhile.
Edit= forget what I just said I see what you are doing. My buddy runs his drag car with it wired full back for years now.

I'm unsure that's the best thing to do. Even though it's a circle track car, if you wire the KD lever locked all the way back, it might not down shift correctly. That might not give the best results. I guess the only way to know is to try it and see.

RR- drag racing you up shift one time. No issues.
RRR- roundy rounds- the on again off again going into a corner or out onto the straightaway will cook that trans in no time. You are correct Rusty in questioning a full lock out. You will kill your rpm band as it will shift late and down shifts will be horrible if not at all.

I ran mine with it wired back just into the spring portion or about 1/2-2/3 back. But I ran mine in second no up or down shifting once I was racing.

You would probably be better off with a manual valve body. No worries and less weight. Well....you could pour sand in the left rocker panel if you have to keep the weight, lol.

The stock VB, with a wired-back throttle valve, will downshift according to command of the governor. On the street this is gonna have the potential to spin the car out, when it unexpectedly downshifts on closed throttle deceleration.
I imagine it wouldn't be much different on a track.
To prevent that, you would have to reprogram or eliminate the governor, or modify the VB. Or, just install a manual-shift VB.

throw in another vote for a manual valvebody or modifying the stock valvebody to do what you want it to, without smoking the bits.

-
Back