904 kicking out of gear

-

keenkeener

Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to get some pros input on my problem. I recently installed a factory console in my duster. I fabricated some of the linkage going to the gear selector on the tranny. It works great except when i really step on it. It will kick out of gear if I really step on it. Do you think my fabricated linkage is being hit by the kickdown linkage? If so - I think I am just going to try and find some factory linkage.
Thanks!

It's possible the throttle pressure linkage is the problem. Have you slid under the car and manually pushed it back to see if it's interfering? That's the only way to know for sure. If that isn't the problem the only other thing I can think of that might cause it is a broken motor mount allowing the engine to tip up under acceleration and pull the linkage out of gear.

I really know nothing about how the transmissions or the linkages really work. The kickdown linkage can interact with the shifter, i just dont know when it goes forward backward. I thought there might have been something in the tranny itself that would "push" it out of gear if something was severely wrong. Wanted to make sure i wasnt going to break something.

Understood. I'll try to explain some of it. The throttle pressure linkage (that's what everybody calls the kickdown linkage but the correct name is throttle pressure linkage) goes farther back the more you push the accelerator down. When the engine is at idle the throttle pressure linkage is all the way forward. The shifter linkage is in park when it's all the way rearward. As you shift down through the gears towards low gear the shifter linkage on the trans comes forward. If the throttle pressure linkage is catching on the shifter linkage it will naturally push the shifter linkage back into neutral as you press down on the gas. Hope that makes sense.

Great explanation. What youre telling me is that I am the problem... I will get the proper linkage so i can mash the gas.

thanks again!

-
Back