904 leak...dipstick???

-

ljayp44

Reaction score
Just trying to eliminate all the obvious...I have a '73 Dart Swinger 318 2bbl with an A904 automatic trans. I get a leak when I park it, not alot, but over time it adds up. Checked the pan and everything is good. I have a dry rotted trans mount and am going to replace it as soon as the weather gets warmer. I guess what I'm wondering is would an old dry rotted tranny mount cause the tranny to vibrate or sink lower and wiggle the dipstick loose?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Mine was leaking just as you stated and turned out to be the O ring on the dip stick tube where it enters the trans. Cheap, simple repair.

Thanks!...was driving me crazy, when I change the mount I'm gonna pull the dipstick, Thanks again

The trans moving because of the mount wont make it leak because the dipstick tube is bolted to the bellhousing.
Usually leaking while sitting is either the dipstick tube oring as mentioned, or the linkage seals where the shift lingage goes through the trans case. (if the leak is at the front of the trans)
The dipstick is on the passenger side, and the linkage on the drivers side.
Be sure and grease that oring when you put it back in so it doen not tear or roll the new one.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to check the linkage also....narrowed it down to that area towards the front of the pan, still shifts fine, just a pain to see it leak... Thanks again

With a new O ring and seated in the trans, the tether on the tube should line up against the bolt hole with minimal effort. If you find you need to force the tube to insert the bolt, the tether could have been bent before. Enough misalignment will cause a new O ring to leak.
For what its worth... My select shaft seal started leaking so I leplaced that. Short time later the front seal started leaking. I wasn't surprised. All of them have the same age.
Good luck with yours

-
Back