904 Leaking Fluid

-

Belltek821

Reaction score
I've got a 904 tranny that is leaking fluid. Its wet above the pan on the shift selector side. It started after I put a Hurst quarter stick in. It leaks while its sitting in the garage. There are times after I drive it that Ill put it away for a week and in wont leak a drop, but when it leaks it'll drop an 1/8 quart in a week. The old kick down selector is still there not attached to anything, not sure if I should just remove it all together. I suspect its leaking from around the selector lever. I've already replaced the transmission pan and gasket. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

69 Valiant
904 manual valve body

...................U can change in the car........no u dont need 2 pull the vb or the pan......u can pull the pan and vb, then use a bolt, nut and appropriate washers to pull the seal in, when ur in that far u may as well change the little seal on the kd lever.....kim.......

It is hard to hammer the new seal in even with the tool i have that allows you to leave the pan and valvebody on. The floor keeps you from getting the hammer in. I used to remove the vb, knock the seal out and then use a slide hammer on all thread along with a socket the same size as the new seal. It worked great everytime!

You will need a service manual. There are well over a dozen small bolts in the valve body but only some of them are long enough that they support the valve body. The other shorter ones are holding the 2 halves of the valve body together. If you take out all of the bolts you could have balls and springs to deal with. That means a simple seal R&R gets teribly complicted.
I dont do everything by the book though. Once I have the valve body removed I use a very small diameter long shank drill bit to make a pilot hole in the floor pan. Then I cover the trans with a towel, peel the carpet back, and push a 3/4 hole swa through the floor pan. This allows me to knock the new seal in from the top using a close diameter socket and extension. Body plug in the hole and it's there if/when I need it again.
If you try this, take your time, dont let drill chips fall in the trans or your eyes.

There is also a small rubber seal around the kickdown rod inside the selector shaft.
Take the C clip off of the top of the selector shaft assy and the seal is under that washer.

What a great idea!!-Thanks

If you're refering to my shortcut , it wasn't my idea. I worked with some seasoned old schoolers.
You'll need a target to drill the pilot hole. Lay a flat washer with a very small hole on top of the seal/case and use a flash light or pen lazer from underneath and mark your target.
If your car has a/c the underdash vent assembly will need to come out so the holesaw and angled drull will fit. Find a socket that fits inside the old seal . Stack 3 pieces new seal, old seal, socket and tape the together with a round of duct tape like ][_0----. Leave the starting edge of your new seal exposed. The trans case will peel the tape off as the seal goes in.

-
Back