904 manual valve body

-

rlm2268

Reaction score
I have a 904 trans that I have not put in yet, it is fully rollerized with a rev. manual valve body, it was built by JPT. Having heard about the problems with no low band apply valve body I was thinking of changing it to a low band apply valve body. Does anything else need to be changed besides the valve body
Thank's

Thank's for the info. I don't know if it has a bolt in sprag or not, probably a good chance it does since it was originally built for drag race. I was told it has 2.74 first gear, fully rollerized, with billet manual rev. valve body, trans was built for a superstock car. Any suggestions on what kind of valve body to go with that has low band apply?

Thanks

The bolt in sprags aren't any stronger than the unit in the vehicle, they are just easier to change. Not worth the effort if yours isn't messed up.

Next I'm going to tackle the low/reverse band apply question. I don't run one in my car. If you load the driveline (powerbrake) before you launch everything is already "set" there's no need for any additional holding power. The problem comes if you have a driveline failure while under power in first gear. This is the only time the sprag is holding the drum. If it happens you need to remove the trans and inspect the over running clutch (sprag) before you put the car back on the track. While O/R clutch failure isn't common, and unless you are using a trans brake I wouldn't fret over it, it does happen and for that reason I recommend an SFI trans shield. The aluminum kind, not the carbon fiber type, or a ballistic blanket will do also.

Guitar Jones said:
The bolt in sprags aren't any stronger than the unit in the vehicle, they are just easier to change. Not worth the effort if yours isn't messed up.

I have rebuilt several trans. but am no guru but I thought the reason for going with the bolt in sprag is it resists spinning in the case better. You are correct though about if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think Turbo Action makes a full manual valve body with low band apply.

-
Back