904 or 727

-

3rdstmk

Reaction score
Have 1973 340 duster on the way with the original transmission (havent seen it yet) im told the fender tag reads D34 which is light duty transmission. What would it be, a 727 or a 904 ?

Probably a 904 but still a great transmission. Mine is a D34 but has a 727 so you may have to just wait until you can see it. I don't know if mine was changed out at one point. Either one will hold up great for daily driving. Either one can be built up to take the abuse of Drag racing.

I don't believe Mopar ever used a 904 behind a 340. By 73 the 727 was made in light duty versions. Most likely a 727 would be my guess.

Probably a 904 but still a great transmission. Mine is a D34 but has a 727 so you may have to just wait until you can see it. I don't know if mine was changed out at one point. Either one will hold up great for daily driving. Either one can be built up to take the abuse of Drag racing.

Yes, either one can, but the 904 has a LOT less parasitic drag (unless you spring for a Pro Trans 727) which will cost you about a car length and a half in the quarter-mile, if racing is important to you.

-
Back