904 planetary endplay measurment

-

C2ndLTpigeon

Mopar or no Car!
Reaction score
I have another question, I'm measuring the planetary endplay measurement on my slant 6 904. I have changed all four of the thrust washers with new ones. After putting the assembly back together I am getting .047 of endplay. The book I am using is from 1975 and says the factory specs are .005 to .051. And the book that I have by Tom Hand is saying .001 and .047.

The way I measured mine is by setting the assembly on the outer shell and lifting up the output shaft I'm putting a feeler gauge between the gap. Unless I'm doing something wrong this is how I am getting my measurement. Is this an acceptable measurement? I have no worry so much about getting the tightest and play as this transmission will be in the car for about a year or so until I put a V8 but what were the effects of excessive endplay cause?

20220215_131805.jpg
20220215_131828.jpg

My main concern is always the input shaft end play because that affects the direct drum wobble. I shoot for about .020.

My main concern is always the input shaft end play because that affects the direct drum wobble. I shoot for about .020.
So should I worry about planet endplay as much? The previous shims were about .004 worn total than the new ones so endplay is obviously a little better. other than getting shims, I really cant do anything with planet assembly endplay.

-
Back