904 Problem

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I have a 904 that was behind my 273 commando. It has a Trans-Go shift kit, although it's an older version, an SK TF-SC-A. It shifted nicely behind the 273 with a stock converter.
Now I added 100 cubic inches and it's acting up. It's reving between the 1/2 2/3 shift. Tried adjusting the kickdown and there's no change. Took the pan off and cranked up the pressure and still no change.

I had it rebuilt when I built the new engine a few years ago and I added a 2800 stall converter and a 5200 hemi governer. Do those affect the shifting in that way? Do I need a TF-2 updated kit?

Any help will be appreciated.

There should not be any "flare up" between gears, which is what it sounds like you are describing. My first suspicion is the forward clutch, which is engaged for all forward gears, but yo don't mention any problems in starting out from a dead stop. Does reverse give you any problems? If not, the direct clutch is likely ok.

How much more power are you making? A 2800 stall with one engine will act like a higher stall with a more powerful engine.

Try adjusting the front band, loosen it, then snug 2-3 times and loosen onthe final snug, back it out 2 turns and tighten the lock nut.

2-3 band adjust is inside, if you wanna adjust that.

the 2/3 band is on the outside...the 1/reverse band is in the inside...

How did you adjust the throttle pressure (kickdown) linkage? Lengthen the rod for firmer shifts and less flare up? Or if you have a Lokar cable you need to shorten it up. The governor has no effect on shift quality.

The 1'st gear breakaway and reverse are fine. It flare's up when you leave it in drive or shift it manually.
The engine is a mildly built 373 ci with maybe 325hp.
One thing I forgot to mentition is I also had the low gear set installed and input shaft and front 4 clutch drum from a newer trans to have the correct spline count for a new converter.
I did adjust the bands per Trans Go's kit.
I adjusted the stock linkage so that at wot the linkage is almost all the way back, with a 1/8 inch gap between the carb stud and the back of the linkage slot.
So it sounds like I have the linkage back as far as it will go. I'll try shorting up the linkage 3 turns at a time and see if it gets any better.

Sometimes just a few turns makes a difference so try that. In stock form you almost always have to have all the slack out of the linkage or it'll flare up between shifts.

And if you're 1-2 shift is a lil slippy, what are some things you do?:read2:

Actually the front band (2nd gear band) will cause problems on both 1-2 and 2-3 shifts cause it applies for 2nd gear so if it's loose it applies slow and you get slipping and when it's loose it releases too soon so it flares up going into 3rd. Also if you block the accumulator it makes the 2nd gear shift quicker/firmer.

Actually the front band (2nd gear band) will cause problems on both 1-2 and 2-3 shifts cause it applies for 2nd gear so if it's loose it applies slow and you get slipping and when it's loose it releases too soon so it flares up going into 3rd. Also if you block the accumulator it makes the 2nd gear shift quicker/firmer.

I'm having problems with my 97 1500, it shifts slippery 1-2 if in D, unless wot, but when in 2 shifts fine. The throttle pressure cable is adjusted right.
I'm no transmission guy, so if you can offer any advice, I'd be grateful.

I'm having problems with my 97 1500, it shifts slippery 1-2 if in D, unless wot, but when in 2 shifts fine. The throttle pressure cable is adjusted right.
I'm no transmission guy, so if you can offer any advice, I'd be grateful.

Hum... that's an electronic shifting transmission which I'm not up on. I assume the same things apply to it that apply to regular torqueflites but since I haven't worked on any electronic units I'm not really sure. Could just be a pressure switch giving false readings to the computer and in turn the computer is lowering the line pressure too much. Do a search for duster346 and pm him. That's Chris Andrews and he's the man on transmissions. I bet he'll know exactly what to do. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Hum... that's an electronic shifting transmission which I'm not up on. I assume the same things apply to it that apply to regular torqueflites but since I haven't worked on any electronic units I'm not really sure. Could just be a pressure switch giving false readings to the computer and in turn the computer is lowering the line pressure too much. Do a search for duster346 and pm him. That's Chris Andrews and he's the man on transmissions. I bet he'll know exactly what to do. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Actually that was a big help, thanks:cheers:

Update;
I adjusted the linkage so it had all the slack out and it stoped the wot a little bit. It did flare somewhat less.
So now am I looking at a loose front band? Maybe a leaking front servo?
I'll remove the valve body and check the band out.
Thanks for all the sugestions.

Update;
I adjusted the linkage so it had all the slack out and it stoped the wot a little bit. It did flare somewhat less.
So now am I looking at a loose front band? Maybe a leaking front servo?
I'll remove the valve body and check the band out.
Thanks for all the sugestions.

Sounds like your on the right track Bob. Definetly check the front band adjustment first since it's on the outside and easy to get at.

-
Back