904 problems, HELP!!!!

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my 904 tranny. I just had it rebuilt, put a shift kit in it 5.0 kickdown lever and a 3000 stall. O.K. here's the deal. I went for a short cruise, came home, shut the car off and went inside. About 10 minutes later I went outside to check fluid levels. With the car in neutral I pulled the trans dipstick out, when I did this fluid came spewing out the front of the tranny. The dipsick holder is not leaking. It seems like the front seal is gone. Why would this this do this????? I have been driving this car for a couple of weeks after the trans rebuild, if it was the fluid level it would have happened sooner than this. I just don't understand. If anyone can help me on this it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe a plugged up vent causing the tranny to build up pressure and blowout the seal ?

sounds like either the converter wasnt installed allthe way (should click in in 3 stages) or you have a leaky converter hub, or you dont have the drain plug in the converter, tight or at all.....

A friend of mine said something about the converter plug as well. At the risk of sounding stupid what is the converter hub?

The hun is the cente of the converter were the input shaft slides in. What brand converter is this ? I had a Dynamic converter that leaked at the hub. It wasnt bad though so I left it.

Did you ask John about the leak ? Hes a good guy and will help you out as much as possible.

I'm almost positive it was in all the way, It spun till it locked all the way back. I've been driving it for a few weeks and all of the sudden this happened. If it wasn't back all the way it would have screwed up alot sooner than this I would think. No, I haven't called John yet, I was going to tomorrow. I'm just annoyed over the fact of possibly having to rip my tranny out again. :x

71valiant said:
I got it from cope transmissions, It's a PTC 3000 stall.

I would call john he will take care of you. He stands behind his work! Did you lube up the outer part of the converter that slips into the front seal, with tranny fluid? If you installed it dry it could tear up the seal and cause fluid to shoot out the front.

I didn't lube up the converter before putting it in the tranny. I thought that could be the problem as well.

Mopardude said:
71valiant said:
I got it from cope transmissions, It's a PTC 3000 stall.

I would call john he will take care of you. He stands behind his work! Did you lube up the outer part of the converter that slips into the front seal, with tranny fluid? If you installed it dry it could tear up the seal and cause fluid to shoot out the front.

I have literally rebuilt and installed hundreds of trannys and never lubed the hub.

-
Back