904 Push Button transmission shifting problem

-
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 1964 Plymouth valiant with a 318 and a 904 push button 3 speed transmission. The current issue I have with the car is after driving it for a while, the transmission wont shift into park or reverse. To be more specific, when I first turn over the car (while its cold) everything works perfect. I can go into reverse, 1, 2, D, N and park and while driving it around, it shifts into all the gears fine (1,2,3). After driving for x amount of miles (im not 100% sure when it starts to happen) and I want to park the car, the slider for the park will go up, however you can tell the car isn't truly in park as the idle doesn't change and the drive button doesn't come back out. Also, if I try to push in the reverse button, it won't push in or engage. It will still drive fine while its hot but just trying to park is where I am having trouble. I have to wait for the car to cool down and then the buttons will work properly again.

If anyone has any sorts of advice it would greatly be apricated as the trans is the only thing on the car I haven't gone through and would like this to be fixed. I am also in SoCal so if anyone knows of a mechanic that is good with these transmission that would be great.

Make sure it is adjusted correctly.
Small changes make a big difference in how it works.
What I did on my Lancer was this:
Car on jack stands.
Pan off the transmission.
Using the Factory Service Manual.
I had my wife in the drivers seat and we went through all the gears.
Got it right in no time at all.

-
Back