904 Questions

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
Hey guys been reading a lot about rebuilding my 904 and have jumped in deep. So I have a later model with a 5 clutch front drum. Measuring the dry stack of clutches I get a clearance of only .020 with a flat snap ring. I realize this is way too tight and I need more like .070 I asked the transmission shop down the road that pressed in all my bushings and they said they don't mill pressure plates, they would mill the piston which I thought was strange, .050 off the piston seems like a lot. What would you guys do?

Thanks,

Phil

I do the plate edge where the teeth interlock the drum, but there is nothing wrong with milling the piston either.
Both are acceptable.

Thank you! Just what I wanted to hear. I can go a little smaller snap ring as well. The PO had installed 4 thick clutches and 1 thin clutch to obtain enough clearance. Now I just need to find a place that will machine these parts.

Phil

I have resurfaced the pressure plate in the clutch pac to get clearance...the most i had grounded was .025....done the same on 4 904s...

I actually installed 5 thin disc and steels in a 4 disc drum...had about .050 clearance...

Ok guys, PO had a 4 clutch piston installed in a 5 clutch drum, then installed a thin clutch to make it all fit. Just goes to show you why you should always check clearances and inspect everything. The 5 clutch piston is tapered like the pump and front drum, the 4 clutch piston is flat. Now, off to figure out the "shift kit"

Thanks for the help fellers,

Phil

-
Back