904 rear spline/yoke

-

jgrady

Reaction score
Anyone know if a problem here..?? have persistent drive shaft vibration on hi mile 67 dart GT convert; found yoke a little loose on trans spline, put in another used one, it got a little better..for a while (10k miles) . These were made various lengths by MOPAR --? something going on. The long ones actually have a shorter spline inside than the short ones .
Drive shaft rebuilt twice,all new rear end bearings , just rebuilt , thought it might be pinion bearings, a little loose too.
Problem getting worse, rumble at 40 mph when balancing torque to zero w gas, ok under throttle or coasting down hill..OK,but not perfect .
May be chasing something someone else knows all about. Trans rebuilt by TA , first time wrong, but they made good on error. Probably same output spline put back in.

Any sources for new ones, (front yokes) that are wear resistant? comments sought... How to get tighter fit, if fit is the problem..

You can't switch SY and not rebalance the shaft...

SY are a little different and effect the balance of the shaft...

Even changing joints can throw off the balance...

After you balance the shaft get back to this, if you still have a issue

change the bushing in the tale shaft of the 904,,

support the trans with jack under pan ...remove 6 bolts on tailshaft...remove cover on big snap ring...it is under cover with two phillip screws...

remove tailshaft...take to trans shop to replace bushing...

reverse to install

Right on--frankly forgot that tailshaft bushing is what locates it , not spline. Good guy, Brent at Driveshaft outfit the advertises on this board helped me out with a new yoke, but also pointed out bushing thing. I am now sure that is it, it can be moved maybe .020. .His price for new yoke was much better than last time, elsewhere..good to know, a fair guy, really helped,as did posters here.Thank you..

.020 is my guess; You may know, most bronze bearing are fitted much tighter than .020, like .005 or less, but maybe .020 is normal post wear,and still no problems.Don't know exact number, but makes sense..right? If it wobbles around , bushing is worn....And all else is new.

Most have some play in them though... so saying it wobbles isn't unheard of... it is how much is the issue....more then .020 then there is a issue

-
Back