904 Rebuild ??

-

80fbody

Reaction score
Slowly working on my 904. Did the valve body & am rebuilding the sub-assemblies now. I've got the 5 clutches up front & kolenes with .065 with the stock wavy ring.

What's your opinion on the wavy rings? Should I go thru the work to machine the pressure plates down & run the flat ring? Or will the wave ring be ok?

Also, is there a better front clutch spring available without going to the multi-spring setup. Just trying not to get too deep $$ into this as it's my first trans build.

This build is for a 400hp smallblock dart.

Thanks.

only alternative to the front clutch spring i have seen is the multi-spring setup...it is really only need for drag racing where the stock spring come unwound at higher rpm..

the wavy snap ring allowed for a "softer" engage of the clutch pack..the wavy spring gives some cushion...

the wavy snapring was used for a softer apply for reverse. i have seen them break so check it. the one peice piston spring will be fine. seen no problem with them using a transbrake.

the wavy snapring was used for a softer apply for reverse. i have seen them break so check it. the one peice piston spring will be fine. seen no problem with them using a transbrake.

the problem arises at higher rpm...the spring come unwound and allows the clutch dish to drag......

so if you are not going racing..the standard spring will work fine.

24 Springs and comes with snap ring.
Provides just the right spring pressure for positive piston return function.
Reduces overlap lag between the apply/release.

This unit is a MUST for High RPM engines.

http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/product/15/

did you use the manual low feature on the tg-2? a billit rear servo from sonax would be stronger. their not much money.

the problem arises at higher rpm...the spring come unwound and allows the clutch dish to drag......

so if you are not going racing..the standard spring will work fine.

24 Springs and comes with snap ring.
Provides just the right spring pressure for positive piston return function.
Reduces overlap lag between the apply/release.

This unit is a MUST for High RPM engines.

http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/product/15/
thats a nice piece for sure! i just wonder why they didn't make a piston with ears on it like a 727?

I did go with the "hold any gear" feature of the kit. I do want to be able to take the car to the track. I just don't drive them much on the street anymore. I'll look into the multi spring, rear servo & will replace the wavy rings.

if you dont mind a bit stiffer reverse, you can use a flat snapring. clutch clearance by rule of thumb is about 10 thou per plate. it also depends on how much you crank up the pressure regular valve adjustment. and your engine idle speed. a high stall convertor is also a bit forgiving.

Where do I get the different thickness flat rings for the drums? Don't see any listing for them on the websites.

-
Back