904 Recomendations

-

2-66 Cudas

Reaction score
Putting together a mild build 318 - about 325HP. Not planning to dragrace it, just never had a hotrod as a youngster. Bought a used 904 out of a 75 Dart 318. Figured on replacing front seal, screen and pan gasket. Any need for a shift kit or converter upgrade??? Also purchased a 66 Signet /6 904. Slips a little - figured I would try a new screen and fluid change before a teardown. As far as I can tell, it's an 86000 original mile car!

Personally, I wouldn't trust a 36 yr. old trans. even if the previous owner said it worked ok. After all your putting 325 hp to it. At a minimum I'd pull it apart and do a basic rebuild. A Trans-go TF1 or TF2 shift improver kit is a great addition and is all you'd need to do at that performance level. As for the converter, a stock one is strong enough but is it matched to the cam you intend on using?

As for the /6 trans. slipping. If it's slipping your more than likely wasting your money and time putting a new filter and fluid in it even if it does only have 86,000 miles on it. Probably has a leaky/blown clutch pack seal.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a 36 yr. old trans. even if the previous owner said it worked ok. After all your putting 325 hp to it. At a minimum I'd pull it apart and do a basic rebuild. A Trans-go TF1 or TF2 shift improver kit is a great addition and is all you'd need to do at that performance level. As for the converter, a stock one is strong enough but is it matched to the cam you intend on using?

As for the /6 trans. slipping. If it's slipping your more than likely wasting your money and time putting a new filter and fluid in it even if it does only have 86,000 miles on it. Probably has a leaky/blown clutch pack seal.
Agreed, but if you don't mind pulling the trans back out, you might want to see how it works with your setup first. There may be other things it needs while you have it apart. You can always add a shift kit with the transmission in the car if you need to.

Agreed, but if you don't mind pulling the trans back out, you might want to see how it works with your setup first. There may be other things it needs while you have it apart. You can always add a shift kit with the transmission in the car if you need to.
Agreed

-
Back