904 reseal/rebuild cost?

-

blind_in_1_ear

Reaction score
well i guess i am curious what a reseal, turning into a full rebuild would cost...

kinda already into it for a chunk...i don't have a garage, or really anywhere to break into it all, so i got to nut it up...
here's the info.... 225/904 leaking a good amount of ATF...got back from Costa Rica and there was a good "bleed out" of more than normal while i was gone...looked BAD.....so i took it to the only mechanic guy who's seen that car with me...and he said a reseal was needed....$450 for that....reasonable??

which turned into a rebuilding, although i dunno if that was necessary, it WAS off and supposedly didn't need a new torque converter....

so now i am in, they got it, and are fixing it...kinda a hard place to be, they tell me it needs such and such....and it's already opened at their tranny guy....](*,)

oh well, maybe just venting.....but what's "reasonable" for what i am getting done??? which is a rebuilt 904..keeping in mind i COULD NOT have done this on my own....
AND it's gonna be done quicker than most places...dunno if that matters...

blind :glasses1:, plods along hoping his car works GREAT when he gets it back....

$450 for a stock rebuild? If that includes parts and labor with them pulling and installing the trans I say you got a pretty good deal. I paid $250 plus parts to have my 904 rebuilt and I pulled the trans and gave it to the guy.

oh no, it's more than that....
$450 was for the initial resealing....since it's off the engine and they've seen what they got it's now in the $1000 area....

but life is what it is....esp. if i don't need to do it again.....
blind :glasses1: looking forward to driving again....

I hope they lubed it before they stuck you then.....no way a rebuild on a /6 904 should be $1000 or over. I was under $500 for a street/strip904 with all the goodies....yes I got a deal on some parts but even without the deal I'd be looking under a $1000 for my trans. They are taking to ya IMO.

well after calling a few places here i am feeling a little better....

everything from:

"1750-1800...in a Chrysler if they don't change out the torque converter and it's leaking...then they are trying to dust you off"(*what ever that means...)"--smaller transmission shop

"7-800 for a reseal then we'll see from there where we go....."-AAMCO

"around a thousand....but we don't know if it's gonna be that bad till we get it down...."--another indy tranny shop.

well as i did all this i got the call that it's ready.....:pirate:

$1160 for rebuilt transmission, and a exhaust gasket replacement.....after a $180 discount.....with a yr warranty.....

based on calls around the city i think i am in the ball park...crappy park to be in i know...but it's Southern California....and in 93 i paid $700 for less work....

short story long.....taking it for what it is...i got my car back, and hopefully i don't have to cross this bridge again.....

oh and mom.......i think cash presents will be good for birthday this year....

blind :glasses1:....not happy about it...but i live in heaven, so i guess i pay for it...

Well i guess they are in the ballpark with the rest of those prices but damn...those are high compaired to my area.....that or my guy really likes me.

well back from the shop now.....

i guess i needed it....less "clunk" when it downshifts in slower BS traffic...
and the whole thing feels tighter....the gear shift lever even feels better locked in....
all in all i think i am okay with these guys....just not too many options for here...kinda availibity of shops limits little...and who knows IF they've ever seen a 904 etc....this guy was recommended, and sounded truthful(*hard i know to gauge....) didn't dodge questions....all in all i hate the swallow, i had to do it....
now if it's leaking i know it's not there....and it seems to run a little smoother....still need to get the aussie intake/exhaust gaskets, and i should be good for a while.....
ouch, but i guess it's part of the Mopar package...esp a '70 Valiant 4 dr 225...
she's ugly but she's mine!!!!

blind:glasses1:

I hope they lubed it before they stuck you then.....no way a rebuild on a /6 904 should be $1000 or over. I was under $500 for a street/strip904 with all the goodies....yes I got a deal on some parts but even without the deal I'd be looking under a $1000 for my trans. They are taking to ya IMO.

Agreed, When I took the RoadRunner in it cost $400 for the rebuild..I bought the kit and a new 3000converter also so say $500(since the kit cost $100 it was a ATI kit and was awesome..tranny shop said some of the best parts they had seen for a rebuild) and that was with THEM taking it out and putting it back. And even IF I add the converter cost back in its STILL under $900...wow talk about HIGH..im glad I dont live in your neck of the woods lol.

Just got mine rebuilt, it was rebuilt top to bottom with a Transgo TF1 shift kit...total bill $450.00 I pulled it and installed it.

Holy crap that is high!

I have a friend who is going to teach me how to rebuild my own so I never have to pay anyone again.
Remind me to buy him ALOT more beer than I had originally intended.:-D

yeah i know it's high...

here's my logic, for anyone that cares....who knows maybe i am the only one..

in 93-94 i paid 700 for a rebuid in my 73...same /6 225/904 set up.....
worked till i, unfortunately, sold it.....
now jump forward 13-14 yrs. it's about 300 or so more....i guess i am naive, or just don't have the connections i need to, but it's about what most anyone i called said...if not more....some guys were almost doube...some a little less, but "bring it in we'll see what we got"....my spidey sense was filling me with apprehension on those guys.....

but i digress....it works great, i got it and it's running.....
so all in all i think i am paying more that i "should" but it's also San Diego....
so i pay for that everyday too....
thanks for all your input....and trust me IF this happens again...i think i'll ride the bus while i wait for the rebuild from one of your guys.....

hopefully not any time soon!!!!
blind :glasses1:

I am rebuilding my 42RH out of my '95 Dakota. $99. for a master rebuild kit, $129. for the pump, $89. for a convertor, $42. for new bands fron and rear. $300. for my trans. guy to install it all (kit). Didn't have the time to pull it out (in the middle of a remodel on my house) so a buddy of mine pulled it out at his auto shop for $175. also includes re-install. So I am in the $850. -$900. range. I don't think you did too bad.
Terry.

I really hope they flushed out the trans cooler lines, and put in a new torque converter.
Both items hold gunk/metal/etc from before your rebuild....
Price sounds right for socal

When you can't do it yourself, you're at the mercy of others. But for that price, I'd be pressing for a better warranty. A good trans shop should offer at least two or three years on a stock rebuild. What about mileage? 24 to 36 thousand is about right.

-
Back