904 selective snap ring kit

-

plypete

Reaction score
I have a 68 Valiant with a 360/904. I just want to freshen up the trans and would like to dial in the clutch disk clearance but where do I find the selective snap rings to do it? Also, what band would you use for the 2nd gear. It was the first trans I rebuilt, and I used the 5/1 lever and I plan on removing it because I seem to have too much overlap on 3rd. It is just a fun street car that will run low 13's with 355 gears.

A&A transmission sells the selective snap ring kit for the 904.

www.wittrans.com sells good used parts and if you look through the parts for a 904 you can find snap rings of different thicknesses to order. Takes more work than ordering the kit from A&A but their dirt cheap.

I prefer a solid front band but some like a flex band. Either way go with a red lining band as they are better, IMO...

I've seen the 3rd gear overlap problem time and time again when using a 5.0 lever with a stock valve body. For that reason I use a 3.8 or 4.2 lever... If the overlap was pretty drastic you probably want to step down to a 3.8... If it was just minor overlap a 4.2 should cure it. Don't go crazy tight on the front clutch pack clearance either as that can make overlap worse.

Did you upgrade the front clutch carrier to a multi spring? If not you might want to do that.

Wittrans are good people, I love that southern hospitality! Use tight factory tolerances.

Thanks for the info guys, that Is just what I was after. As far as the multi spring, I don't go more than about 5800-6000 rpm, so is the stock single spring setup ok? I thought the multi spring was a must for over 6000 rpm. Also, I see the kevlar flex bands on EBAY all the time any thoughts or opinions? Or just go with the rigid red band. Keep in mind that it is mostly a street car with a trip to the track every once in a while.

IMO you need the spring kit. I'm not a fan of the stock single spring even if some claim it can go to 6k. After all, your pushing it to the limit even there. Cheap insurance IMO. Go with the Red lined band. Kevlar is real hard and I've read it glazes over kinda quick with street use.

In the 727 Handbook by Munroe, they suggest staying away from the Kevlar on a mostly street driven ride as it's more harsh on the drums. They recommend the red lined bands.
Says kevlar would be fine on a race only unit.

-
Back