904 shift selector seal

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`ve got a leak at the shifter selector on my 904. I have two new seals, one quarter size, the other dime size. Can the seals be replaced with the transmission in the car? Does the valve body have to come out? I have a seal removal tool that a friend loaned me. It appears that the larger seal will come right out the top. I don`t know about the small seal. Anybody done one of these with the trans still in the car?

yes it can be done in the car, the valve body needs to come out. you can use a bolt and nuts and socket but if you have the tool thats great too. ill be honest, its frustrating while its in the car because the lack of room but it can be done. it should be the quarter size one. the small one might be for the top of the shifter shaft, there is a washer /seal in the top of the shaft.

If it's the tool that screws into the seal it can be done without dropping the valve body. There should also be a seal driver that comes with the removal tool. You will have to use a long pry bar to force the new seal in with the driver since there is no room to swing a hammer. If you lower the rear crossmember it will give you more room to work as well. The small rubber disc seal goes around the throttle pressure shaft. be carefull to keep the small shaft supported or it may drop below the case and you will have to pull the pan.

drop the pan, drop the valve body. Knock the seal out from bottom up. To install the new seal you can place a puller on the bottom of the case (or just a piece of 1/4 X 2 X 12 flat bar with a hole drilled in it is what I use) and draw the seal in using the puller center bolt a suficent flat washer and a nut. Dont let the pullers center bolt scar the seal lip ! Polish the selecter shaft and lube with vasoline before carefully pushing it up through the seal.
Its still not some fun.
Wanna know exactly where to place a holesaw access through the floor pan ? Sorry trade secret.

This is what I`ve got:

IM000374 (Medium).JPG

Sometimes dirt gets in the seal and cuts a groove around the shaft. Then a new seal won't fix the leak. But there is a "heavy duty" seal that is taller and rides on an unused portion of the shaft; about 1/8" higher. 22072A

-
Back