904 shift shaft seal

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I admit I am no auto trans mechanic, barely any kind of mechanic!! My new toy is leaking bad around the shifter shaft. The FSM is vague. Can I remove the old seal around this shaft and replace with the O Relly seal??? I have the floor already cut out replacing that, so I can easily get to it. FSM says also drive the new seal in with a 15/16 socket, with tran in car, like yea, I believe that too!! Rock Auto lists a bushing for that shaft too???? , The shaft has some slight wobble to it. IN a 76 Volare, floor shift car.
I'm just old, woreout, half blind, and getting senile!!! But a man needs to recognize his shortcomings!??????

It's easier with the valve body out, I've never tried it any other way. There is an inner seal for the throttle shaft lever, replace that one also.

It's easier with the valve body out, I've never tried it any other way. There is an inner seal for the throttle shaft lever, replace that one also.
I see Rock Auto has a shifter shaft "bushing" is that the inner seal you mention. The local parts stores only has that outer seal.???

You may not like my response. I went to the effort to drop valve body and reseal the selector shaft. Approx' 90 days later the front seal at torque converter started leaking. One might blame the 6 quarts of new fluid but... all these seals are the same age.
Five garages quoted the same 400 USD to replace that seal and also insisted "complete rebuild is the wiser route", more or less refusing the front seal R&R job.
My 67 model 904 was rebuilt in 1984.
How long since your 76 model 904 was rebuilt? That's the 1000 USD question. Good luck.

Sometimes the shaft itself is worn from dirt embedded in the seal and you have to either replace that part of the valve body linkage or install a "heavy duty" seal that is thicker and places the lip higher.

Sometimes the shaft itself is worn from dirt embedded in the seal and you have to either replace that part of the valve body linkage or install a "heavy duty" seal that is thicker and places the lip higher.
That can be a possibility. The dirt here is called sugar sand, a very fine sand. I hate the chit!! Can this shifter shaft be purchased as a new part fir a 904 if needed ??

A brand NEW one?!?!? U gonna order NEW parts before you even have it apart?? Isn't there a Chrysler dealership in your area?? Or do you have a thing called "google" where you are?

A brand NEW one?!?!? U gonna order NEW parts before you even have it apart?? Isn't there a Chrysler dealership in your area?? Or do you have a thing called "google" where you are?
HA! I have not gone to a Chrysler dealership looking for parts for these old Mopars in decades!!! Last time I did the dealer just blows me off even though I bought a new in '95 Cummins 1 ton!!! Yes he was a small town asshole dealer!!!!
Google!? I thought that was a Ca. thing, like the Senicon valley thing!!! LOL
If you ever felt of this fine sand here you would now why I will bet $$ to donuts that shaft is worn!!

So what if it's worn?? Didn't you see my post about the "heavy duty seal" that rides in a higher place? But hey your car your choice..and alla that.

So what if it's worn?? Didn't you see my post about the "heavy duty seal" that rides in a higher place? But hey your car your choice..and alla that.
I found in several places the seals, different brands, I did not see where on was referred to as thicker. I can order several at parts store, pretty inexpensive and see if any are thicker. Thanks for the input.

Even my trans parts supplier said they didn't exist...until he looked them up and ordered me a dozen. They are noticeably taller.

Even my trans parts supplier said they didn't exist...until he looked them up and ordered me a dozen. They are noticeably taller.
I found a place called classic transmission solutions, they mention a "wider" seal, look slike they would call it taller!!! I will check with them. Thanks

Can someone post the number for that taller wider seal? Thanks. Kim
My notes say transmaxx #12349 from ??? maybe " classic trans solutions" ??? I already had the regular seal, popped it in and good so far. I left a "trap door" in my tunnel in case I need easy access again while I was fabbing my floor pans!!

A little late here...but FYI on future shifter shaft seal change outs. You can do it from underneath with the trans in the car pretty easy. I pry the old ones out with a small flat screwdriver. After cleaning the shaft and adding a little lube to the shaft....I use a big C clamp and the aforementioned socket to install the new seal. There's no room to get above the socket with a hammer. Put a paint paddle or something between the pan and the business end of the C clamp to keep from marring up the pan.

A little late here...but FYI on future shifter shaft seal change outs. You can do it from underneath with the trans in the car pretty easy. I pry the old ones out with a small flat screwdriver. After cleaning the shaft and adding a little lube to the shaft....I use a big C clamp and the aforementioned socket to install the new seal. There's no room to get above the socket with a hammer. Put a paint paddle or something between the pan and the business end of the C clamp to keep from marring up the pan.
When I did the floor, I left a tacked in door!!! I have done the=at seal on some old mopars decades ago, and it was never a fun job. A lift would be wonderful!

Drop the valve body, knock the seal up with a flat screwdriver; use a slide hammer from the bottom and washer over the seal to pull it down in.

-
Back