904 / Slant six - No Reverse problem - broken band?

-
looks really dang close to the size of the magnet in my chryslers 727 and my darts 904, do the pans in your decomissioned and "new" trans have a round recess or dimple stamped in the pan for a magnet to sit? i want to say it was towards the passenger-rear corner of the pan....

Rear band link broke.
Betcha that broke, cocked the band strut and that caused the end of the band to snap off.

Attachments

• band.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 238
I tried to check around if i could find something broken but didn't find anything yet. I check the Rear band link and I don't think it is broken +the hole size on the broken piece is too small for the pin from the looks of it. I will go over everything again tomorrow maybe i might have missed something.

I rechecked the piece if it was a magnet but no it isn't. it doesn't magnetize.

where did that piece came from? is the transmission operable? that's on our mind right now. Im looking at photos and viewing a few available videos of the 904 but not seeing that piece, I'll keep looking but Im also going to come up with a Plan C & Plan D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 3.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 4.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 5.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 200
If those are the pics of your trans. the very last one might hold a clue. The throttle pressure linkage looks like it's been welded on. (NOTE: their always welded there but this one looks like it has been re-welded). Maybe some time in the past it broke and someone left part of it in the pan? I modified the picture with text and an arrow pointing to what I'm talking about. Is the piece about that size?

Attachments

• Valve body.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 211
CRAP! I woulda swore that was part of the band bracket.
I cant think of anything else it could be.

Hey; Trail beast
You are correct the part in question is in fact the end of the rear band strut link,
it is from the top end of the link and you cant see the damage with the trans assembled.
This is a very common failure on 904 sorry guys but both units have reverse issues,
dont install trans with out building it first!!!!!

Sorry for bad news. : Lon

Mopar King

Look at the picture that trail beast posted, the red mark he drew , go to opposite end of links see the flat plate? thats were the end is broken from.

and the weld on the bottom of the tv shaft is normal factory no issue there!!

Lon ( Aamco master Tech) DEsMoines Ia.

Mopar King

Look at the picture that trail beast posted, the red mark he drew , go to opposite end of links see the flat plate? thats were the end is broken from.
QUOTE]

Ah, that would explain the flat edge on the broken piece, AND the hole in the center being smaller.

ok, just wanted to update on the tranny situation. My dad went with plan C and took another transmission from the 1973 dodge dart parts car he acquired not to long ago.

We opened it and both inspected it and took pictures for reference. everything seemed clean and there was no broken parts inside:wink:. we changed both seals, filter, and transmission gasket. He just finish installing it onto the car and timed it letting the rotor pointed to the #1 spark plug wire and close to top dead center. we started the car, let it warm to operating temperatures then shifted it slowly and everything seems ok. There is only a slight leak somewhere on the driver side, we think it is coming from Neutral safety switch. will add more pictures and of the final transmission we went with, make sure everything is tight & smooth and do more testing before going on the road

I don't think we are missing anything, are we?:-k

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!k4E2D69214JBNu0ofjBmw~~_35.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 176
Everything sounds good. Only thing I can think of is to make sure the throttle pressure linkage is adjusted correcty. If not it'll burn up the trans.

ok, just wanted to update on the tranny situation. My dad went with plan C and took another transmission from the 1973 dodge dart parts car he acquired not to long ago.

We opened it and both inspected it and took pictures for reference. everything seemed clean and there was no broken parts inside:wink:. we changed both seals, filter, and transmission gasket. He just finish installing it onto the car and timed it letting the rotor pointed to the #1 spark plug wire and close to top dead center. we started the car, let it warm to operating temperatures then shifted it slowly and everything seems ok. There is only a slight leak somewhere on the driver side, we think it is coming from Neutral safety switch. will add more pictures and of the final transmission we went with, make sure everything is tight & smooth and do more testing before going on the road

I don't think we are missing anything, are we?:-k

It's pretty rare that the switch leaks.
More likely it's the linkage seals.

-
Back