904 slipping

-

mrhollywood

Reaction score
I just started having my transmission start slipping from 2nd to 3rd. The car has 150000 miles on it and and I think its leaking tranny fluid ,because I keep on adding more trans fluid every couple of days.Would changing the filter help with the slipping problem? Or should I start looking for a new transmission?

If you can afford to have the car down over a weekend, buy a "complete" rebuild kit and a manual and rebuild it yourself. Mopar trannys aren't that complicated. JMO

Bill S.

You may make it work ok for a while with a fluid and filter change and band adjustment and possibly adjusting the throttle pressure linkage but considering it has 150,000 miles on it it probably won't last long. Why don't you just rebuild it or have it rebuilt, rather than looking for a different transmission? 904's are cheap and easy to work on.

Thanks 70aarcuda for the link. I think I'll rebuild it in the near future!

The 67+ 904 rebuild kits are easier to find. I recall ~$80 on ebay. Those are the "banner kit" (without steels), or ~$100 for a "full kit". Don't get the "overhaul kit" since just rubber and gaskets. More expensive kits (>$200) have upgraded clutch plates (Hi Energy, Blue Plate, etc), but don't know that matters unless you are racing. I rebuilt a 413 tranny last winter, which is essentially the same inside. The engine had been flaring from 2 to 3. Several clutch plates were worn to the metal and their inner teeth almost gone. It was a prior rebuilt tranny I bought used, with a "Certified Transmissions" sticker.

They had cheated and re-used worn clutch plates by adding an extra steel plate. That is why better to do it yourself. I would allow a week or two. I found worn output bearings I had to replace. I rebuilt 2 Mopar trannys this year and the steel plates were all worn <2 mils, so I re-used. Optimal if you have a spare tranny in case you find worn "hard parts", which can be very expensive.

That really depends on what you have done to it. A rebuild can be just about anything. Also depends on if there are any hard parts bad.

-
Back