904 stall ?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Who sell stall convertors for a 1968 904 automatic? TCI list 72 - 80 transmissions only. B&M list only 727's. Wanting a 2000 stall.

I used a company called dynamic converters, here is the website (Dynamic Converters / Pro-Formance Transmissions) and you can call them and get some information from them. I had to supply them with motor infor and gearing. Car is still not completed yet but I have launched the car a few times and the converter seems to work very well. I went with a 3200 Stall but they will build to what you want.
Rod

You don't say what engine you are running, but as far as the 904 goes, converter fitment is all the same from 1968 up. Pilot measures 1.810, 4 mounting pads, 27 spline on the input shaft. You're not dealing with a lockup so I don't understand TCI listing only 1972 to 1980.
The converters mainly differ depending on what engine you're running.
How much stall are you looking for? As rod7515 says companies like Dynamic, TCS, Hughes, etc. can supply you with what you need, but they require information on your engine, axle ratio, tire size, what you mainly use the car for, before they can get you the converter best suited for your combination. If you're looking for a quality high stall, don't let price be your only guide, as the lower priced units are priced low for a reason.

You don't say what engine you are running, but as far as the 904 goes, converter fitment is all the same from 1968 up. Pilot measures 1.810, 4 mounting pads, 27 spline on the input shaft. You're not dealing with a lockup so I don't understand TCI listing only 1972 to 1980.
The converters mainly differ depending on what engine you're running.
How much stall are you looking for? As rod7515 says companies like Dynamic, TCS, Hughes, etc. can supply you with what you need, but they require information on your engine, axle ratio, tire size, what you mainly use the car for, before they can get you the converter best suited for your combination. If you're looking for a quality high stall, don't let price be your only guide, as the lower priced units are priced low for a reason.
I have a 1973 318 with small cam and a 1968 transmission. 373 gear rear end.

You can get one through the local parts store for a mid 80's full size van with 318-904 combo that came factory with a low stall of about what your looking for. Be sure you get the non-locking they because they came with both locking and non-locking. Bonus is it'll be at a reasonable price!

318 stock 904 converter should be about 2000 rpm stall

There are two stock converters available for you 318 engine. There is a low stall (about 2000 rpm) and a high stall (about 2300 rpm). These converter fit both the 318 and the leaning tower of power slant 6. Both listed for 1968 and up. Lock ups started in 1978. Your local NAPA or any store may be able to help you, but if there is a Transtar warehouse in or near your area, that would be a better bet as they re-manufacture converters and would get you the right one.

Engines make horsepower. Converters do not. A well constructed converter will take full advantage of the crank horsepower for sure, but will not increase it.

Engines make horsepower. Converters do not. A well constructed converter will take full advantage of the crank horsepower for sure, but will not increase it.

No chit Sherlock.:D
Its obvious he means his converter is more efficient.
OK, it was obvious to me anyways.:)

You and I, and many others know that Dr. Watson:), but others may not. That was my point.

After reflecting on some of the questions I have seen asked...I see your point:D

Actually, engines make torque, and HP is strictly a calculated number................:D

-
Back