904 supposed to leak?

-

pagilman

Reaction score
I picked up a rebuilt 904, shift kit, heavy clutches last weekend. The guy I bought it from said there was no oil in it. When I got home i stood it up on the bell housing in the garage, two days later there is a big oil stain on the floor. appears to be about a pint leaked out. I know nothing about a transmission, is the front seal supposed to leak like that? is that how the oil gets to the converter? Please don't tell me I got ripped and that front seal is not supposed to leak :cwm10: I layed it back down on the pan and my son i law said to put some oil in to keep the clutches from drying out? Please any help would be appreciated, thanks Walt :cwm10:

I’m not claiming to be an expert. But Trannie fluid has always come out of the rear of my trannie. The torque converter does get its fluid from the shaft area so I wouldn’t sweat it. He most likely drained the fluid from the bottom and there is still some in there.

thanks kryon, hopefully a tranny mechanic will respond and let us know for sure. :notworth: thanks kryon, hopefully a tranny mechanic will respond and let us know for sure. :notworth:

pagilman said:
I picked up a rebuilt 904, shift kit, heavy clutches last weekend. The guy I bought it from said there was no oil in it. When I got home i stood it up on the bell housing in the garage, two days later there is a big oil stain on the floor. appears to be about a pint leaked out......

Hi Walt,

Some builders will use transmission fluid during the transmission build on hard parts. Some will just use assembly lube. The clutches and bands should be soaked in transmission fluid prior to final installation for any build.

I wouldn't worry about the transmission fluid loss at all. If it was stood on the tailshaft or the bellhousing, it should leak--even with very little fluid.

HTH's

I forgot to mention .. if it was stood upright on the bellhousing like you said, the fluid leaked out of the factory front pump vent--more than likely not the pump seal or o-ring.

No worries! :salut:

-
Back