904 to 727

-

Del

Papa66Bcuda
Reaction score
I have a 66 Barracuda with small block and 904 transmission and a friend of mine has been trying to sell me a 727 recently rebuilt with manual valve body . Anyone every done this I know I would need a driveshaft from a 727 to a 7 1/4 rearend later to be change to a 8 3/4 would I be able to hook up column linkage or need to go to floor mounted shifter . Someone told me the 727 wouldn't fit the floor pan and might have to redo floor. . Or if someone knows of a 904 with manual valve body that I could get a stall converter for trying to get rid of linkage Thanks

Evidently I must be the only one who has thought about putting a 727 in place of a 904. I'm surprised that no one knows anything about the swap.

never owned a early A body...but i have read that body seam in the trans tunnel must be flatten...that is all i know

I swapped out the 904 for a 727 in my '67 Barracuda. (I know it's not exactly the same.) I also put a Dana in to replace the 7&1/4 rear. I'd advise you to do the rear end and transmission swap at the same time so you don't have to re-do the driveshaft twice.

Never did the sawp in an early a. But did do it in my ol 76 drag dart. All you really need to do is shortening the drive shaft. I also ran a reverse manual VB in both trannys it was on the column to for a month or two until I got a b&m pro stick in there. It worked but was weird! I do know under our early a's it is pretty sung with the 904 for sure. May halfta beat floor some to totally fit. Also that 7.25 WILL NOT LIKE MANUAL V.B. SHIFTS FOR LONG AT ALL!!!

Sounds like I should leave 904 in place and swap rearend. Thanks for everyone's input very helpful

-
Back