904 tourqe converter question.

-

Cudakeeper

Cudakeeper
Reaction score
What is CY9-SP. It is written on a used converter I bought. The previous owner said it was a 2300 stall. It is going in a 273 S Cuda 1966

20231022_134204.jpg

20231022_134148.jpg

No telling. 2300. So it's a stock converter. Is that what you need?

i see 12 3 stamped into the body there so maybe this?

the CY9-8-SP could be anything. i'd assume 9 for 904 and SP for special? but that's just WAG

anyway, more important is that the snout of the converter matches the crank register of the 273

[/URL]

the CY9-8-SP could be anything. i'd assume 9 for 904 and SP for special? but that's just WAG

anyway, more important is that the snout of the converter matches the crank register of the 273
And the spline count needs to match the trans. Early 904’s have a unique spline count, 19 I think, and they will only work with compatible converters.

The 66 273 has the small register hole on the crankshaft , be sure to measure both the converter hub and the crankshaft register.

Last edited:

[/URL]

Thanks for the info. You saved me a bunch of time. I measured the snout and it is larger. I opted to reinstall the original unit. Great help, thanks.

And the spline count needs to match the trans. Early 904’s have a unique spline count, 19 I think, and they will only work with compatible converters.
tourqueflight 904 tourqe convter body 1966 Plymouth Barracuda Base 4.5L

The OD is 1.560 crank end of 273 tourque converter mounted onto flex plate.
318 is a larger OD
This not a mentioned dimention when ordering a new one from Jets or Rock auto.

Used converters are good only for two things, a core, or a door stop. Because they are a sealed unit, there is no way to tell what the internal parts are like. I seen more than my share of "Rattle Can" rebuilt converters.
JMHO

That is why I am in between a rock and a hard place. This was solved by the 318 transition. Going to take my chances and put the OEM unit back in after having a shop in Semi Ca. look it over. The 66 Cuda is stock. No plans to race it. Just keeping it alive to piss off C.A.R.B The car is driven 100 miles a day, it is my comuter untill retirment in 6 years. Then restoration.

-
Back