904 Trans Leak Help

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tranny seems to leak only when sitting. If the car is running, no leaks. But shut it off and it leaves a puddle.

Leak is coming from the left/driver side of the trans. Thinking maybe shift lever seal?? Are these hard to change?

If you can get up under the car, clean the area really well, then spray it with desenex. It will leave a real nice trail where it's leaking from or at least narrow the potential spots. Sounds like the pan level drops when it runs, then after it stops, pan level increases and the leak starts. Sounds like you have a good handle on where to look.

Couple things on that side, speedo, shift lever, pan gasket.

There is a seal where the shift rod goes into the tranny, mine did the same thing. I got it out without pulling the valve body but it took awhile.
Bruce

Tranny seems to leak only when sitting. If the car is running, no leaks. But shut it off and it leaves a puddle.

Leak is coming from the left/driver side of the trans. Thinking maybe shift lever seal?? Are these hard to change?

That's a common culprit but often overlooked is the small seal between the kickdown and selector shafts.
Valve body out to do them which is not that difficult.
Another leak which recently had me perplexed in a 727 was a small seal on the plastic speedo cog.

Another place in that area that leaks sometimes is around the front band adjuster. There isn't a seal on it so you just may have to tighten it down more to stop it or at least slow it down. Mine continuously seeps there no matter how tight I have it. If you do tighten it make sure and hold the inner adjustment bolt with another wrench while you tighten the outer lock-nut. You don't want to mess up the adjustment.

-
Back