904 trans problems

-
Reaction score
We have a 70 Dart. I had put a used 73 904 in it out of another car. When we did it we put a Trans-Go TF-1 kit in it. My son had a kick-down linkage failure and cooked it. Rebuilt the 70 904 and put the valve body from the 73 in it. Here's the problem, when left in drive' the thing wont return back to low. if you shift it manually to low it works fine. In drive it always seems to try to start out in 2nd. Am I missing something between the years?:banghead:

LOL. That's why I used the word trans instead of tranny. us older folks used to call them trannies before the world started spinning off it's axis.:)

I've got the same issue. Was told the govenor was sticking. I plan on trying to put a spring on the kickdown arm to make sure it comes all the way back first.

Not just the governor ( but could be that also)
Dirty and sticking shift valves can cause this on both of your transmissions.
You both need to pull the valve bodies and rinse them while manually moving the valves against their springs.
A pocket screwdriver or metal pick works well for this.

If a trans blows up it should also get a new converter (or flushed with a machine) and the cooler lines rinsed and blown out.

I have a 73 part-throttle TFII VB on a 70 or possibly a 71 trannY. It works perfectly.
Ima going with a governor issue.
Or as TB suggests. However since the VB was working on the previous trannY, Its governor for me.

I have a 73 part-throttle TFII VB on a 70 or possibly a 71 trannY. It works perfectly.
Ima going with a governor issue.
Or as TB suggests. However since the VB was working on the previous trannY, Its governor for me.

Probably is if the other things were already tried.

-
Back