904 transmission linkage console to column ? Maybe ??

-

wxm3

Reaction score
Greetings. My son purchased a 318 with an attached 904 transmission which we dropped into his 73 Duster roller. He has no idea what the donor car was but we think it must ave been a console shift car as neither we nor 2 Mechanics (not Mopar guys) can get the indicator to line up with the transmission. Set in Park , reverse is down around neutral , Neutral engages around Drive and Drive actually engages way down at 1st. Thinking it might need different levers in the transmission case or maybe did it come out of a push button car ? Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you

One of the shift linkages should have an adjustment...

One of the shift linkages should have an adjustment...
Yes, it should. but any combination either starting at Park and working down or starting at 1st and working back towards park ends up with the same problem. If we start down at 1st we can get it up to park so it will start. If we start in Park the starter will engage and car will start but to get the transmission to engage in drive the column indicator needs to be pulled all the way down to the 1st position. Car drives great like that. We would just like to make it right. One of the garages we brought it to wondered if the inner linkage on the case itself is for a different selector style.
Thank you !

Needs a different length arm on trans for shifter. I did drill the arm to get a shifter to work.

What i did was center adjuster, shift into park and lined up rod to trans lever. Then i shifted to low and did same thing. Made a mark each time. Then drilled a hole between the 2 marks and tried it. Had to adjust a little and it was good to go.

Actually if i recall i went with the shorter mark. So it would go firmly to either end.this was about 5 years ago when i built the linkage.

hole closer to the fulcrum/pivot will give you a shorter throw. Put it in park, mark it, put it in low mark it. now find your shifter travel and do the math/mock up. I had a truck shifter on my first 727 that was through the floor acting right onto the sector shaft. Terrible idea from PO: about 3 inches of travel was P to L!

Thank you all. Just installed a heated in my son's garage so we can experiment with it in time for driving season to start. I'll post a follow up. And thank you again

Needs a different length arm on trans for shifter. I did drill the arm to get a shifter to work.

What i did was center adjuster, shift into park and lined up rod to trans lever. Then i shifted to low and did same thing. Made a mark each time. Then drilled a hole between the 2 marks and tried it. Had to adjust a little and it was good to go.

Do you recall how much by or how far in you drilled ? Close as possible ?

A 904 linkage is common, I would try to put a wanted ad in the wanted section and see if you can buy one for the 904...

forgot to mention, its a little tough to drill. I pulled it off and used my drill press

A 904 linkage is common, I would try to put a wanted ad in the wanted section and see if you can buy one for the 904...
Yes, but I'm not sure how many arms there might be and which one to ask for. I have a Torqueflite manual. It made no mention of different arms. A transmission mechanic friend of mine had an older shop manual but it was vague, and he's a Chevy /Pontiac guy so ........

My 76 dart sport column shift will have the right length shift lever on transmission, if i remember, i will trudge out in am and take a measure..

I'm sure I do, but my point was that there are too many different ones. That's why I think the shortest route to success is to cut and tack weld until you get it right then full weld. There are different angles, lengths, hole sizes...plus some have studs.

This is from my 76 dart sport column shift. I see it has the grommet style. Out of 3 i looked at, this is the only one that uses a grommet.

CB86AAD6-1A42-458A-B444-5246ED3EFF17.jpeg

Im glad this thread came up, as i will need to take this lever and put it on the other transmission.

I'm sure I do, but my point was that there are too many different ones. That's why I think the shortest route to success is to cut and tack weld until you get it right then full weld. There are different angles, lengths, hole sizes...plus some have studs.
Gotcha. I'm a Blacksmith so fortunately welding is second nature to breathing Even on my back :)
Thank you again

-
Back