904 transmission / multi spring retainer etc.

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i´m doing a 904 together with my brother for his 69 dart. One common problem with 904´s is the spring in the clutch will unwind around 6000 rpm as far as i know, solution is the Multi spring retainer some vendors sell. I found a single spring at ATI, wound in the other direction, for much less money......but does it have the same positive effect?

http://www.atiracing.com/products/trans/904/

scroll down to bottom of page.....

Thanks for info!

Michael

come on guys, i know here´s somebody who has got an answer to this question....Thanks in advance!

Michael

Me neither (never used one), but if it's wound the other direction that would do it.

Wow, I have been shifting mine at 6500 for 13 years with the stock spring. What can happen to the spring?

Wow, I have been shifting mine at 6500 for 13 years with the stock spring. What can happen to the spring?

Since the spring is wound in the opposite way the drum turns it apparently can "unwind" and come apart.
I have never personally seen it happen before either, and I spent some years with them.
(usually just snapped off shafts, stripped planetary gears and sun gear shells.)

ok, thanks guys.....i think we´ll give it a try with the cheaper single spring.....budget with this one is tight.

Michael

go to a and a or cope they carry an after market one that works great, there is another place that sells them but cant remember the name of it , if cant find on there web just call them and they will know what your after then you can shift anywhere you want, may be called the high gear return spring pack, my mind isn't workin bgood this morning lol:D

main question to ask, is it worth it to try it. Time and expense to repair if it does have an issue vs the known multi-spring setup which many have used with success.

-
Back